Pulley cambium saver

edam321

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never reduced or eliminated, just displaced, Paul.

that is an interesting comment - it won't make you any more money from cutting the trees, but fun to 'know' something about the physics of climbing.

I think that it is correct to say friction can be reduced by using a pulley over a natural crotch(not just displaced), certainly it can never be eliminated.

The principle of conservation of energy means the energy burnt in the muscles when a climber ascends has to go somewhere - part into heat and part into gravitational potential energy, if using a pulley the climber will use less chemical energy to reach any given height

that is an interesting comment - it won't make you any more money from cutting the trees, but fun to 'know' something about the physics of climbing.

I think that it is correct to say friction can be reduced by using a pulley over a natural crotch(not just displaced), certainly it can never be eliminated.

The principle of conservation of energy means the energy burnt in the muscles when a climber ascends has to go somewhere - part into heat and part into gravitational potential energy, if using a pulley the climber will use less chemical energy to reach any given height

The friction in a closed rope system (ddrt) can be moved (displaced) from one point to another.

The friction being the force necessary to hold the climber's weight up.

In a system where a natural crotch is the anchor point, the crotch will be taking say 40% of the friction, and the hitch the remainder, 60%.

By using a pulley as a top anchor you are displacing almost all friction at the anchor, to the hitch, which will be taking the full weight of the climber. Hence why you burn out hitch cord faster with a pulley anchor.

The percentages are obviously just to make a point, not factual.

• 1 month later...

If your just climbing on a prussic or similar I wouldn't spend the extra money on a pulley saver, they come into there own with hitchclimber set ups or mechanical devices,

I climb with a zigzag on a 11.7mm rope and I have an art rope guide, the rope guide can also be used to choke off on the stem and provide an ancore point on a pole with no suitable branches or forks.

IMO, this set up works brilliantly for me and the difference between a rope guide and normal cambium saver is massive,

Hope this helps

Ed flint

If your just climbing on a prussic or similar I wouldn't spend the extra money on a pulley saver, they come into there own with hitchclimber set ups or mechanical devices,

I climb with a zigzag on a 11.7mm rope and I have an art rope guide, the rope guide can also be used to choke off on the stem and provide an ancore point on a pole with no suitable branches or forks.

IMO, this set up works brilliantly for me and the difference between a rope guide and normal cambium saver is massive,

Hope this helps

Ed flint

👍🏼, bang on. Pretty much identical setup, this with a few different SRT systems here and there and bobs your uncle.