What do you expect if someone else services your saws?

sicoopey

Purely from an agricultural background, I only take my wee saw to the v good local dealer, for "open heart surgery" type ops/mechanicing, all the basic "nuts ,'n bolts" stuff, I do myself.

Anyone who deems themselves competent to use a chainsaw should be able to do the routine stuff, and quite a bit more.

ESPECIALLY sharpening, and I mean correctly/properly, with a round file and guide.

Bit like most drivers, and their lack of mechanical understanding, I suppose

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much as Dan says. Easily achieved in 30 minutes, although the pump itself can be a bit more difficult until you know what you are doing as it has to be withdrawn from below.

About £25 labour should cover it at most dealers.

Thanks so he was trying to rip me off!!

I'll have a go at it myself sometime in the winter!

Not very good . Did you ask the what the " service " consisted of ?

Nope. I'm going to ask very shortly. Before settling up.

I would have assumed the service would have at least warned me if something needed replacing or was dangerous

I'm just a bit confused that the chain catcher wasn't picked up on or mentioned really.

Maybe it's just par for the course…

Thanks for all your replies

Simon

Edited by sicoopey

My opinion is very much like Barries (GardenKit) we both come from a similar generation where you do things right.

If a sprocket is shagged, it gets changed, if it is borderline, you ask....simple - yours sounds .......shagged!

The bar and chain, if they are fitted which is rare due to the nature of my business model, they are checked and sharpened if in a state. If the owner requests the B&C to be checked and/or replaced I request which type etc. If the bar and chain are in reasonable fettle then I leave it as many pros would hang you if you touched their chain with a grinder!

I do a couple of types of service, the typical £70 compression check, inspection, clean up, tune and back out or the £120 full strip down, pressure/vacuum/compression checks, fuel system overhaul, recoil overhaul, chain brake overhaul.........and lots more. Most pro users take the second option and it works. Most home owners take the cheapest option not understanding why a 15 year old pro saw they have got of ebay should ever need a full strip and inspection:001_rolleyes:

I go a lot on recommendation when I spend my money and I seem to be doing things right from the repeat business and referrals I get!

Your saw should have had a new sprocket if it is that worn and a note about the bar and chain being badly worn!

Learn as much about your equipment as you can and fix what you can on your own.

Being an informed consumer can level the playing field when it comes to purchases and repairs. I would suggest in the future to make your own list in advance of any servicing and repairs. Also attach a price on the work being performed to keep the invoice shock in check. Along with the advice already provided the balance is up to you.

easy-lift guy

How much do you charge to port a saw Spud?

It depends on the saw, generally between £150 and 170 and it includes a full and deep service, pressure/vacuum check, carb strip and check and a good clean up if necessary. If the saw is a wreck, I may charge a little extra but only if it looks like it has resided in the Grand Union Canal for a while!

I have saved many from near seize and returned them fully modified.

Personally. I think you got done by an unscrupulous trader. Most things you've mentioned should have been at least mentioned to you. But to give you back a saw without a fully functioning chain brake and not even bring it to your attention. Is reprehensible at the least and incompetent to boot.

Sounds like they took your money and to put it politely, did nowt. Certainly wouldn't give them any more custom.

Sounds like they took your money and to put it politely, did nowt.

Yeah, I agree but we haven't settled up yet so that, IMO, is still to be decided.

Thanks again to everyone for chiming in. That's a lot of useful information for me to digest and use in the future.