What work vehicle to go for?

AdamL

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably.

My comment was based on the guy's situation.

As a start up business a kangoo is very cheap to buy, cheap to run, will pull a trailer and is great for running around quoting.

So if after a year he finds it's going well, he can upgrade and flog it.

He's not betting the farm on it though.

if you're getting or hiring a chipper then a tipper or tipping trailer make sense, otherwise if you're planning on mowing and hedgecutting etc as well as tree cutting I would say a long wheelbase transit 90 (for economy, rather than the 125) medium or high roof- you can mash a lot of tree waste in a lwb transit, sometimes without cutting yourself, also your mower hedgecutters and saws are covered in - the 4wd bit is where it all gets expensive, if you're mainly grounds maintenance perhaps live without off road.

I have considered the transit Jumbo, but won't go round McDonalds drive thru

If you get more into tree cutting and using chipper - something with a big engine - my transit 90 is crap towing up hill - am currently considering the canters and dailys at 150hp (3.5 ton tippers)

Really??:confused1: Is this genuinely a consideration or are you kidding :001_huh:

I had a 80hp kangoo van. It was a pocket rocket.

The 60hp I hired for a few days test/work was a gutless slug by comparison.

Ty

'04 60 HP Kangoo here, 1.5 lt dCi. Its rated to tow a ton, breaked, but I don't think the 1.5 will really do that in reality. I only tow half a ton max. Its slow, you have to use the gears, Im a slow-coach anyway so doesn't bother me, but on a motorway there will be problems, unless you like to stick it in second and boot it, taking the revs to 4000, which I personally feel is abuse.

Cant you get these new engines remapped for more HP? Or does that just increase the revs across the gear range and knacker the engine faster?

Seems happy to tow half a ton at 30mph in fourth gear on the flat at about 2000 rippums.

The Kangoo is brilliant because the passenger seat folds away, mesh bulkead swivels and you get another 5-6 square feet of storage.

One thing - and its a big one - the back doors on the older kangoo will not open when a trailer is attached. Don't know if the new ones are different.

Thanks guys, I had a Renault kangoo before years ago. Very good motor. Didn't need to tow anything though. What's the tax on one? £125?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Any small commercial vehicle has the same road tax.

I have to pay £230 for the year for my 1.6 VW Caddy the same as my 2.4L Transits.