Which oil/polish to use on chopping board?

jamesd

The osmo will cure very fast and give good water repellence and stain proofing.

Mineral oils never fully cure but ikea and others sell them for tops and boards as people don't know the difference.

Have used tung on all woods with no problem, one thing to think using tung and walnut is any nut allergies for end users? Very low chance of reaction but something to consider.

Ah ok good thinking osmo top oil would be safer bet then? I presume there are no issues with that? Not sure what osmo is made from..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mineral oils never fully cure but ikea and others sell them for tops and boards as people don't know the difference.

That's a bit misleading. Ikea also sell a linseed oil based wood treatment, aimed more at worktops by the looks of it. I expect they sell the mineral oil because many people have used and recommended it for many years. Main reason I'd guess is because it's completely food safe to all as it'll end up in food when you use the board.

If you're using a chopping board, rather than just keeping one for show, how does the osmo oil hold up to all the cuts? Does it still prevent moisture or need re-coating?

If you're making chopping boards, then you are expecting people to cut onto them.

In which case you want a finish that soaks in not one that dries hard on the surface.

I know a couple of guys who make cutting/serving boards and they use a good quality mineral oil, because of people various allergies to nuts etc you should try to keep away from any of the nut based oils.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All , I have some of that white mineral oil that they sell in ikea and to me it looks and feels like baby oil , baby oil is safe all round as its for use on babies ,so when I run out of the mineral oil , I think I will be giving baby oil a go , what are your thoughts ,looking forward to hearing what you all think

Cheers Mark

I have made choppping boards in the past out of Oak and Sycamore and have never treated them, just left au naturel, and they have held up fine. They go through the dishwasher as well as being cleaned in the sink and have lost some off their original colour but they haven't deteriorated at all. Our big Oak board must be 25 years old.

Yes osmo every time for boards and tops.

It's all natural ingredients as its a hardwax so a combination of oils and waxs.

all natural does not necessarily mean its safe for all though. I 'thought' Osmo contained nut oils? could be wrong of course, but that does open up the possibility of allergy-issues. Mineral oil is, at least, non-reactive. Sorry, i get riled up when i hear 'natural' being equated to 'safe' (its the scientist in me).. makes me want to start listing all the natural-stuff that will seriously ruin your day :001_smile:

Hi All , I have some of that white mineral oil that they sell in ikea and to me it looks and feels like baby oil , baby oil is safe all round as its for use on babies ,so when I run out of the mineral oil , I think I will be giving baby oil a go , what are your thoughts ,looking forward to hearing what you all think

Cheers Mark

Baby oil also tends to contain perfume, not sure if that would linger. If I was selling something for food prep I would use something that's listed as food safe.