Black Poplar

54gka

Its not what you call durable, last common use was pit props, the miners liked it because it gave a bit of warning before it gave up.

some one is going to pop up (no pun intended) saying its used for wagon beds but I have yet to see it.

I recon its pallet wood at best

I looked at similar a while back and discovered it was pretty worthless. Although quite rare! A very light but soft hardwood which has shock absorbing characteristics. It was used for cart chassis and prosthetic limbs!

Neither have a use now and it is rubbish firewood. Also used to make matches but who uses them now? The tree I looked at still lies in the hedge as it is worth more as a wildlife habitat to secure grants than it is as a piece of lumber.

SG

sadly because everyone thinks it's rubbish wood no mill will take it.

as a matter of fact it's a very useful timber and can be used for a multitude of things. uses include, carving, furniture carcases, palets, crates, boxes, plywood, joinery timber, single piece table tops, stained veneers and inlays, clogs, wooden animals, laminated drum shells, basket making, toggles, bobbins, furniture, cabinetry core stock(to be veneered over), fire doors (core), pit props, table legs, turnery, matches, shelving, door linings, laths, floorboards and even the wide boards used in coffins .

a very under rated wood in my opinion.

Black Poplar | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

sadly because everyone thinks it's rubbish wood no mill will take it.

Nope, you have that all wrong way round.

The reason the mills wont take it is that the market doesn't want it and the reason for that is, its a pretty useless timber with many alternatives readily available.

Its a simple demand lead supply equation. I have dealt with many tons of "Pop" and if there were a

The other uses you cite are either very low demand or obsolete

Is it true black poplar or the hybrid ?

True black poplar is very rare now also it has some stunning Ray's when Milled.

Hybrid though is brittle junk only good for matches in my opinion and most of the stuff especially down south seems riddled with hornet moth any way and I imagine that would definitely be the case if your tree is wind blow ...We have given arctics away at £100 or less a load just to get rid of it.