mog v tractor

matt cts

I am looking for some advise on running costs/pros and cons of running a unimog v a tractor

looking at about 10k unimog with front loader (u1200) or 4x4 tractor with front loader.

we will be running a 6t winch thinning, tree surgery work, loading m3 bags of logs, chip and remove sites etc

Not fussed for the slow speeds of a tractor and trailer, but are mogs really that expensive to run compared with a tractor There is a u1200 on ebay which looks ok

Any advice would be helpful!!!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mogs are great as chipping units or as a hauling truck for big loads but for tree work get a tractor and roof mount, the crane is so much more useful than a front loader. Where are you based? if you want to come and look at mine some time you are welcome.

tractor/loader for me.does every thing you mention + pulls track chipper or mini digger.

is 40k.groundy will usually follow me to job in tractor and arrive maybe half hour after by which time i.ll have signs up and paperwork ready.

i live in a hilly area and find i am saving a lot of wear and tear on my tranny and hilux by using tractor for the heavier towing,

great to have winch and loader on site, saves loads of time.

also tractor can get into tighter spaces and more versatile for farm work and hence more saleable when you want to upgrade.

having said all that would love to own a mog.

I run a u1600 and it i perfect for what it does - chipping and hauling timber on a trailer , its also really good off road and has a far lower ground disturbance than a 4x4 towing a chipper But thats where it stops , if i wanted a loader or to carry a bigger chipper etc i would have to go for a tractor . A unimog is an expesive piece of kit to maintain and if your not doing lots of work that needs a mog then i would opt for a tractor , and you will not get much mog for 12k .

I am looking for some advise on running costs/pros and cons of running a unimog v a tractor

looking at about 10k unimog with front loader (u1200) or 4x4 tractor with front loader.

we will be running a 6t winch thinning, tree surgery work, loading m3 bags of logs, chip and remove sites etc

Not fussed for the slow speeds of a tractor and trailer, but are mogs really that expensive to run compared with a tractor There is a u1200 on ebay which looks ok

Any advice would be helpful!!!!

If you don't need the high road speed, you don't need a mog.