Trailer weights

woodworm

I have a trailer which is plated at 2200kgs gross weight, which was fine when I had my ford ranger. Tomorrow, I am getting another truck which can only tow 2000kgs.

So...

... Can I legally tow that trailer as long as I don't load it so its gross weight is over 2000kg?

Or

..Do I have to get the trailer re-plated and down rated to 2000kg?

Your help is appreciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity or GTW must be able to cope with the plated MAM weights

This applies to all licence categories

The max 3500 MAM rule applies to B licence towing

So in laymans terms if trailers max permissible weight is 2200kg but towing vehicle in OP can only pull 2000kg it's ok to load up to that weight and leave the original 2200kg plate on trailer?

it does not matter 1 iota what the max on the trailer is, your max is what the vehicle is allowed to tow, provided it does not exceed the plated trailer limit, and remains within your licence allowances, please read the goverment website carefully

So in laymans terms if trailers max permissible weight is 2200kg but towing vehicle in OP can only pull 2000kg it's ok to load up to that weight and leave the original 2200kg plate on trailer?

I'll say again as far as I can see the position statement from the old VOSA that was posted here does allow this if you are driving with a B+E entitlement.

Once the towing vehicle is over 3.5 tonne I believ the MAM of the trailer will be the deciding weight.

my reasoning is from the statement on https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

"Licences held before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road."

I'd like a better cite to show the contrary.

I'll say again as far as I can see the position statement from the old VOSA that was posted here does allow this if you are driving with a B+E entitlement.

Once the towing vehicle is over 3.5 tonne I believ the MAM of the trailer will be the deciding weight.

my reasoning is from the statement on https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

"Licences held before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road."

I'd like a better cite to show the contrary.

There is one extra law for B licence towing - the 3500 total plated MAM rule - but ALL the other laws are exactly the same

If you believe otherwise then fine you are entitled to but that does not change the law