Immigration and poverty

aspenarb

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change is the only constant. It affects tectonic plates and human tribal populations. Its stressful. Our ancestors migrated and caused stress to the people who were living in the places they migrated to. Now people are migrating to where we live and causing us stress. And who can blame them?

Our governments ("our" referring to the west - the first world) are cowardly. They are cowardly because we collectively craved an unsustainable system and created the current state with our votes, not in one election, but over decades of trending. The government is derived from the people and represents the collective will of the people, whether the people realise it of not. Too bad for those of us who are not "collective" enough.

The other thing that bugs me, is the constant belabouring of the less than $2.00 a day thing. How much less? $1.95 ?? Just tell me the average daily wage. Lets assume its $1.50 - in a third world economy that should buy you the same weight of rice as £15.00 or €15.00 will in the first world. So the actual wage is £€ 90.00 a week (no Saturdays off) or possibly more.

Yes its still peanuts if your raising a family on it, but feck it its not far off what I make a week, spread out over a year.

Naturally, those guys be working 12 hour days for their $1.50/$15.00, whereas I would be working 1....

Dunno how I feel about it really. Theres a lot of slack-arses in the USA and all the west really, benefits dossers and that. Send em all to the gulag I say! Work the chip fat off em, and send em to bed early without any drugs. Don't like it?

Well...that's a paddlin'

Or better yet, send the middle east and africa a present. We'll trade you one for one......

Simple and to the point. As I have stated before when the takers out number the makers soon enough all supply and demand economies will come full stop. I believe based on the video that time has come for many countries. The act of a few EU leaders to allow the most recent influx of people from North Africa to enter fellow neighboring member states is just one more shining example of utter stupidity and destruction of indigitious people presently residing there. My cousin in Poland is scared to death because of her governments actions on allowing the new wave of people into her country. Sadly this the price the makers have to pay in order for the takers to remain in power. How long social welfare systems can continue to support this invasion remains to be seen.

easy-lift guy

that video made me think more about how insignificant our efforts appear to be to help change this massive economic difference.

i cannot help feeling that we have a responsibility to do significantly more to help those in desperate poverty - not just because we have more, but that we only have more because they have less.

for too long our economic and foreign policies have been dividing, destabilizing and screwing over the world poorest.

frankly my locality could do with a bit more biodiversity! i'd welcome some immigration, and believe that it possible to "preserve indigenous culture" and enjoy and mix with other cultures.

america is a interesting example of the effects of immigration into an already well established indigenous culture in the 1600's - illustrating clearly some very negative effects for the then "indigenous people presently residing there", yet is now regarded as probably one the the most diverse countries around with an incredible mix of culture.

also for all those that don't know about it - you might be interested to read about the British Nationality Act of 1948

I've worked with third world labour and tbh their skill set is unbelievable bad. We had an Indian plumber install a toilet in a portacabin, the U bend was outside and about 4 foot above the toilet bowl.....

An Iraqi we had checked the acid levels in batteries by dipping his finger in.... when someone said "wtf, that's acid!" he said "no, no mister, that's water". He thought since you topped the batteries up with water it was water inside...

Lol, I also heard about an Iraqi Marine that was told to clean his gun... he put it in a washing machine....

that's right pal, anything other than British is all child rape and terrorism.

tbh i'm amazed your consistent zenophobia is tolerated on here

to be fair the immigrant populations don't really do themselves many favours.... cutting someone's head off on a street in London doesn't really make many friends....

perhaps you could name some of the benefits that migration brings? you might make me change my mind on the wisdom of migration...