Immigration and poverty

aspenarb

to be fair the immigrant populations don't really do themselves many favours.... cutting someone's head off on a street in London doesn't really make many friends....

perhaps you could name some of the benefits that migration brings? you might make me change my mind on the wisdom of migration...

for starters Nicholas Salvador ( i assume you refer to him) was a british born, british citizen who was clearly mentally unstable, i hope you are not in anyway linking the colour of his skin to his behaviour?

secondly, as i suggested in my original post you could read about post war immigration into the UK to fill the enormous void in the labour market which was actively encouraged. this should help you to see atleast some benefits of immigration.

i'd love it if you could stop making huge generalisations about ethnic groups, like the plumber you mention. seriously wtf? that plumber does in no way represent that nations workforce's ability than you or anyone else does for british workers

clearly we are both pretty set in our ways and stubborn, and i will admit you would have a pretty hard time convincing me of your opinions on immigration. but i do try to keep an open mind, and know that immigration isn't a simple issue and i think its healthy to discuss it. also making sweeping racist generalisations IMHO doesn't really buy you any ground or help the debate.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“secondly, as i suggested in my original post you could read about post war immigration into the UK to fill the enormous void in the labour market which was actively encouraged. this should help you to see atleast some benefits of immigration.”

Yeah, everyone knows that after WW2 that many Indians/ Pakistanis went to Bradford etc to work in the textile industry. Did the migration help the textile industry long term? Would you want to stay in Bradford?

Does Britain need more workers now?

"i'd love it if you could stop making huge generalisations about ethnic groups, like the plumber you mention. seriously wtf? that plumber does in no way represent that nations workforce's ability than you or anyone else does for british workers"

OK, I worked on a construction site in the Middle East with several hundred workers from the sub-continent. My mate was a Project Manager on a construction site with about 500 workers from the subcontinent. The plumber was fairly representative of their skill set… If you want I can find you the literacy rates for Pakistan/ India etc?

"clearly we are both pretty set in our ways and stubborn, and i will admit you would have a pretty hard time convincing me of your opinions on immigration"

Well how about this for the first fact:

“Unemployment among ethnic minorities costs the economy almost £8.6 billion a year in benefits and lost revenue from taxes. Half of Muslim men and three quarters of Muslim women are unemployed.”

It’s from the Equality and Human Rights Commission…..

Well done for managing to use the word “racist”. That word has done more than any other to shut debate down.

I don't want to sound "racist", but does anyone think that accepting migrants from a country with a 37.8% literacy rate is a good thing? I just don't see how migrants from the likes of Somalia will contribute to the UK....

Effective Literacy Programmes › Somali Distance Education and Literacy

We cant draw parallels between illiteracy and intelligence , an uneducated illiterate person is not necessarily unintelligent . Its our duty if we accept immigrants to bring them up to speed so they do integrate, better their lives and contribute to our society.

Bob

not exactly true - no-one is trying to solve the worlds poverty/immigration, many of the worlds poor are happy where they are as their dollar is worth much more than ours, and their community is perhaps quite stable. not all these poor people are living in war torn countries, so how about a more realistic perspective?

not exactly true - no-one is trying to solve the worlds poverty/immigration, many of the worlds poor are happy where they are as their dollar is worth much more than ours, and their community is perhaps quite stable. not all these poor people are living in war torn countries, so how about a more realistic perspective?

Only a tiny percentage of the 3 billion people living in poverty worldwide need to up sticks and migrate which would amount to tens of millions. Economic migrants are beating on our door at this very moment, non of them could be convinced they would be happy if you returned them to their homeland. I think the guy in the clip makes a very valid and realistic point, things need to be done to improve standards in their homeland.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

some more child rape and terrorism you mean?

Words fail me.

Unfortunately we live in a world that all think there own country is the best and any change is bad, which results in many not letting immigrants in, resulting in not a equal distribution. In a perfect world all the developed world should be letting immigrants in, with no backward racial partiality. Regards educations, these people have had no chance. It cost money to go to school in many poverty countries, so what do you choose with your £2:00 a day or what ever it may be, food and shelter or education, that is a difficult one for a parent I'm sure you would agree. If anyone really thinks you should stop people because of there education I would recommend you go and actually research and learn about these subjects, countries and poverty. And on a side note, the kind of person who is so against immigration would be the first person to do the same if this country went belly up and you had no money.

We cant draw parallels between illiteracy and intelligence , an uneducated illiterate person is not necessarily unintelligent . Its our duty if we accept immigrants to bring them up to speed so they do integrate, better their lives and contribute to our society.

Bob

But education levels are a fairly good indicator if an immigrant will make a positive contribution to the UK....

Angela Merkel has previously said that multiculturalism has "failed, utterly failed" in Germany. The truth is we just can't integrate some cultures. Sunni and Shia Muslims have been fighting each other for a thousand years, do you think they will live in peace with us?

Unfortunately we live in a world that all think there own country is the best and any change is bad, which results in many not letting immigrants in, resulting in not a equal distribution.

By most standards places like Europe are the"best". Why do you think people sneak into Britain hiding beneath a lorry if our country wasn't better than theirs?

Do you really think letting in migrants with no money/ education/ skills improves the life's of Brits? Why should brits be left on council house waiting lists when migrants skip the queue....