Parking a trailer on double yellow lines

Anyone have any knowledge of the rules for this? If the trailer is unhitched from tow vehicle, can it be left on double yellows since it's not a vehicle?

I recall a piece in the local paper that quoted the council answer to criticism over travellers not having parking tickets on the caravans as stating they didn't need them because a caravan is not. Vehicle.

I found rule 242 in Highway Code but can't find anything specific to answer the question.

Any ideas??

Rule 242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on traffic warden. I did a job a couple of week ago were residents permit parking only new house owners had a job getting permits we parked up and when traffic warden came a long ask if Ok and he said where else are you going to park that lot.

The double yellows are generally there for a reason, however if you are delivering or collecting then you would have a case against a fine for breach of the highway code. If you decide to park there for 3 hours while you sort the job out, the gear has been removed at the beginning, the trailer isn't actually needed for the duration of the job and you load up at the end then expect to get and pay a fine.

The double yellows are generally there for a reason, however if you are delivering or collecting then you would have a case against a fine for breach of the highway code. If you decide to park there for 3 hours while you sort the job out, the gear has been removed at the beginning, the trailer isn't actually needed for the duration of the job and you load up at the end then expect to get and pay a fine.

I agree, but the key part I'm trying to establish is, if not attached to a vehicle, is a trailer subject to Highway Code / RTA etc.

Appreciate the difficulty getting a "feel" for the situation without knowing the ground conditions. Perhaps the answer is to unload and then park the trailer away at another location - it's quite a faff though since it would be a fair way away (and out of line of sight.)

I saw the local parking Stasi at a burger van at lunchtime - wish I'd asked him!!

We often leave our tracked chipper trailer on the road with the nose lock on it and take the number off, mainly to stop somebody stealing the plate as well but I suppose it is then very hard to identify it without the number plate on the back. Although I am guessing this probably flouts a law that says that a number plate should be displayed at all times

We often leave our tracked chipper trailer on the road with the nose lock on it and take the number off, mainly to stop somebody stealing the plate as well but I suppose it is then very hard to identify it without the number plate on the back. Although I am guessing this probably flouts a law that says that a number plate should be displayed at all times

ha, would of never of thought of that, just take the plates off....good one..:thumbup1: