Cheap bluetooth comms, review and install guide

Fredward

Here are mine. Very similar idea but I kept it all attached to the muffs. I was planning on taking just spare muffs to put on other people's helmets when I sub but that's a fvck on so I bought a whole helmet setup to take instead. You can still take the muffs off if needed of course. Takes about a minute. Mine are the 800m range ones from ebay. £60 a pair. Can be bought individually. Available from loads of sellers with different branding but I imagine all fairly similar. They're usable at about 200m (not tried further) through trees and buildings (some buildings distort the sound more than others) and are surprisingly good with background noise from machines. I have speakers in both ears. Both is way better than one. The wire between the two speakers just sits loose in the cage of the helmet above my head. Any spare wire (not much) is in the muffs.

1.5mm ish drill to pilot and do the wire holes

4.2mm drill (M5 tap drill) to drill holes for the mounting screws on the muff hanger

3/16" file for the boom mic slot

any narrow saw blade for wire slots

Looks good, I also looked at that model because of the range, aswell as that seemed to be the popular one, but the BT-S2 had a better waterproof rating. Good idea setting up like that, although always having the mic boom in front of me would annoy me. I will get a 3rd unit to use with subbies, I can set it up (without drilling wires into muffs) just using 1 zip tie in about 3-5 minutes, then cut the tie at the end of the day. It does mean touching someone elses manky lid, which does revolt me.

I used mine whilst we were doing some awkward stumps yesterday, it was very useful, especially when we had a couple to do near the footpath as I could tell my mate to stop easily. Only downside to using comms is the clients think you're loopy walking around chatting to yourself.

I thought this might turn into another Sena thread - I haven't tried them, and I'm sure the quality is better and the functionality is better, however I doubt it's 6 times better. For anyone who is unsure if they'll suit their work, I highly recommend spending few quid to buy a cheap set. Who knows, if they don't last too well, I might end up with a pair of Sena's.

It's designed for motorcycling so it must be a bit waterproof. The boom doesn't bother me. It folds under my chin nicely (and stays there) if I don't want it in front of my mouth. I prefer it on my chin so I can feel it's there. It's remarkably good at not picking up rustling, heavy breathing etc.

I did think about a system that required no helmet or muff modifying but that meant wires trailing etc. When I give this to someone who isn't familiar with it, I don't want them getting frustrated with wires, sharp cable tie ends etc. I want them to put it on and it just works.

Regarding hygiene, the new helmet that I bought will be kept far cleaner than 99.9% of people's usual helmets and can be quickly cleaned with wet wipes at the end of the day. It won't get used every day either. And you can buy new pads etc cheaply. I don't think it's a big issue.

Six times cost and six times quality. Agree completely.

Edited by AHPP

• 3 months later...
Looks good, I also looked at that model because of the range, aswell as that seemed to be the popular one, but the BT-S2 had a better waterproof rating. Good idea setting up like that, although always having the mic boom in front of me would annoy me. I will get a 3rd unit to use with subbies, I can set it up (without drilling wires into muffs) just using 1 zip tie in about 3-5 minutes, then cut the tie at the end of the day. It does mean touching someone elses manky lid, which does revolt me.

I used mine whilst we were doing some awkward stumps yesterday, it was very useful, especially when we had a couple to do near the footpath as I could tell my mate to stop easily. Only downside to using comms is the clients think you're loopy walking around chatting to yourself.

I thought this might turn into another Sena thread - I haven't tried them, and I'm sure the quality is better and the functionality is better, however I doubt it's 6 times better. For anyone who is unsure if they'll suit their work, I highly recommend spending few quid to buy a cheap set. Who knows, if they don't last too well, I might end up with a pair of Sena's.

How you getting on with these Fred wood? The units holding up alright?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

No actually I was meaning to update this post. The units performed spectacularly.. For a short period of time. One unit stopped charging, shortly followed by the other. Not sure if I was unlucky, most of the reviews I read were good. The seller told me to send them back but postage was uneconomical. Very disappointed as very good otherwise. I've also read if problems with senas and other high priced units however - that's putting me off buying something 'better'. It either needs. To be cheap or bomb proof in my eyes, in our industry at least.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I know this is a thread about cheap sets but my opinion may help some folk.

I bought three Sena 10s sets last year and they are good, however I wish I'd spent more and got the Sena Tufftalk sets.

Reason is that the wires can be a pain and the battery on the outside of the helmet is a liability.

There you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk