Tidal.

Mull

The not so obvious answer is salt..

It does tend to ruin things, even very expensive electrical components..

We all know that ships use zinc anodes to prevent corrosion. A lot of motorway bridges now have cathodic protection systems to prevent corrosion.

imho, tidal power stations would have a reasonably long service life...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I asked the wife who works in a related field. She says "barrages are really problematic to wildlife and all the other solutions are technologically limited or untested. There are also limited tidal sites. As for wave the technology just does not exist"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I saw a program a few years ago where they were testing/experimenting with tidal turbines (similar set up to a wind turbine, but underwater). The testing was severely hampered at one of the locations by the presence of seals - an operative had to shut down the turbine every time a seal was seen nearby in case one got injured by the propeller...

I'm all for living harmoniously with the flora and fauna around us but sometimes I think progress is hampered by overzealous environmentalists.

If you ever get to travel through the Menai straits (the stretch of water separating Anglesea from the mainland) at pretty much any state of tide and experience the volume and shear power of moving water I can guarantee that you will be blown away by the incredible, unstoppable and predictable forces at work. The fact that we aren't harnessing this 100% reliable resource that surrounds us is idiocy personified IMO.

So I asked the wife who works in a related field. She says "barrages are really problematic to wildlife and all the other solutions are technologically limited or untested. There are also limited tidal sites. As for wave the technology just does not exist"

Hard to believe that 40 odd yrs ago we could put a man on the moon, and today the technology doesn't exist to produce electricity from tidal power.( well it does exist but not economically/ environmentally viable.

Hard to believe that 40 odd yrs ago we could put a man on the moon, and today the technology doesn't exist to produce electricity from tidal power.( well it does exist but not economically/ environmentally viable.

I don't disagree. I guess this is where we get into the realms of political will and this is led by the wishes of big industry and fed by voters.