Hobby planer/thicknesser

woodwizzard

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Fox planer /thicknesser does the job, just that mine eats drive belts on the thicknesser regularly. So much so that I now only use it as n overhand planer and have a dedicated 12" for that side of the job. Spare parts though, are readily available in the

uk :)

That Fox planer /thicknesser does the job, just that mine eats drive belts on the thicknesser regularly. So much so that I now only use it as n overhand planer and have a dedicated 12" for that side of the job. Spare parts though, are readily available in the

uk :)

Interesting, the feed on the Metabo is driven by a chain, although it occasionally needs a slight helping hand to pull the wood through this may be adjustable but I've not tried yet.

Interesting thread, I've been thinking about getting a metabo for some time now but uncertain it will do what i want tbh. So i've started looking on ebay, the scheppachs look decent and go quite cheep but its finding one local enough to me so i can look at it first. Also do you have to move the tables around to use the thicknesser on the scheppachs?

Turned up today, only ordered yesterday morning so can't fault the service from Epictools on ebay. Went together easy enough. It is easy to get the fence set true and the table seems flat and accurate. It is a budget machine and as such is let down by plastic handles and the like. I have done away with a couple of the ratchet handles and replaced with bolts, no big deal. I have four rubber feet left over because there is nowhere on the stand to fit them and a strange metal thingy. It is a piece of 8mm round bar about 5" long and has two bits of metal dangling from it, like 4" long pawl type things. No reference to it in the manual and the machine works fine without it. Ring any bells with you UKulian?

Interesting thread, I've been thinking about getting a metabo for some time now but uncertain it will do what i want tbh. So i've started looking on ebay, the scheppachs look decent and go quite cheep but its finding one local enough to me so i can look at it first. Also do you have to move the tables around to use the thicknesser on the scheppachs?

The out feed table just unclips to use the thicknesser, a small fiddle factor but they are bullet proof and accurate for their price, rubber rollers are a bonus and don't mark the wood.