DdRT Injuries

RC0

SRT's fine, SRT's great, no doubt about it!

It's just that you experienced blokes promoting it's use to youngsters have been a tad too light handed about also pointing out SRT's inherent limits n dangers, to make real sure no newbies hurt themselves applying doubled forces to a TIP suitable for a DDRT TIP, but not a base tied SRT TIP.

Kinda like Murphy's law guys, wipes out lots of folks who ain't as smart n capable as you.

Jomoco

With respect I don't think anyone here has promoted it to "youngsters". I think the thread was more about relieving the stresses associated with Ddrt in us crippled older climbers that appear to know nothing about selecting suitable anchors for the style of climbing adopted and have no understanding of the forces exerted:sneaky2:.

I do however think SRT should become part of the training/assessment syllabus and consider it is only a matter of time before it does.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect I don't think anyone here has promoted it to "youngsters". I think the thread was more about relieving the stresses associated with Ddrt in us crippled older climbers that appear to know nothing about selecting suitable anchors for the style of climbing adopted and have no understanding of the forces exerted:sneaky2:.

I do however think SRT should become part of the training/assessment syllabus and consider it is only a matter of time before it does.

What utter tosh mate, the principal of what happens if you load an srt ground anchor is an easy one ....even I can understand it !and also so very easy to back it up and make it far safer than a double rope anchor could ever be.

Personally I think it should be taught straight to college users , we are the only rope access industry that uses a double rope ... Is there a real reason why?

I've fully accepted I will never have the flow That I'm able to climb with on an double rope because I have not spent 20+ years on SRT lines but it's a shame if youngsters are not brought in to our industry with the most efficient and ergonomic for there bodies and possibly the safest way of working because people can't move on.

Reg, few quick thoughts on the issue.................

most of your work involves long ascents and descents which SRT is brilliant for. A lot your work is spiked removals and other than the re-direct limitations of DdRT when compared to SRT I can't see a major advantage in that scenario.

SRT is good but there's no way it will replace DdRT wholesale - for most climbers DdRT when not rushed and carried out by an experienced climber is far smoother than SRT, it's 2:1, it's less bouncy, it's better for fine adjustments when getting into a work position, the system tightens easier (easier than a ropewrench set up anyway). Psychologically and visually DdRT will always feel safer than a single line, ok DdRT is still a single line, but it's a doubled single line and for most people that will look twice as safe as a single line especially on a long branchwalk at 70ft.

The SRT base tie off for working in a tree is an inherently bad idea, top tie fine. With DdRT every part of the working line is above you and in most situations it's visible, in contrast large portions of a base tie SRT down line are not seen, that's always gonna be a concern........... the ground rescue argument of a base tie off is bordering on pathetic because you're essentially arguing it's safer to climb on a more dangerous system (base tie) because you can be rescued from the ground. I'm not saying you expect to be rescued from a base tie but many people advocating SRT use base tie offs with belay devices whilst working in the tree.

SRT is much quicker and more efficent for ascent into big/tall trees no denying that (provided the climber can set a line with a bag within a few attempts).

You say you get more work done in a day with SRT, fine now that you're working for yourself, would you say the same if still contract climbing? :biggrin:

I would have to disagree with most of this mate. I contract climbed over 12 years. I worked double rope for around 7 of them (first hitch climber then spider jack with pulleysaver) I never thought I would shift from my spider jack, in fact I trained three climbers and all are on spider jacks. I moved onto srt, first rw now rope runner. All trees, any size, whatever, wherever. In fact I don't own a double rope system anymore. I gave it away as it was taking up space. In practically every way it is better. It has replaced double rope 100%. Double rope is not smoother once you are efficient and practiced on srt, in any sized tree. Once i learnt to climb the tree instead of the rope it all clicked in, I often just click my chest harness on and foot ascender and just climb the branches, don't even touch the rope. Out of interest I recently helped someone to learn to climb in South Africa. I trained him in srt from day one. He advanced to be a much faster and efficient climber than anyone else I have trained, I made him climb double rope every so often and he could not believe that the system was a possible alternative.......ill step down from my high place now hahaha

Can't make out whether you are agreeing or disagreeing. Seems like a bit of both.

Note: The first part of my previous post was tongue in cheek but I couldn't find the emoticon for that sorry.

Sorry mate I was suppose of quoted Jamoccos post ... Oh dear!

So you SRT pro's are saying a base tied SRT set up doesn't double the forces on the upper redirect?

Or that doubling those forces is no biggie and merits no mention to climbers interested in copying your YouTube SRT exploits?

Jomoco

I tend to redirect my rope down to my base tie, reducing the force, not often its vertically straight up from my base tie. To be fair if your anchoring on something that can't take the extra forces it's generally a weak anchor in the first place. Don't think anyone has snapped out there too anchor that I know of, but I'm probably wrong haha

JimThere may be a solution that allows a SRT acsess with the base anchor advantage while at the same time isolating the access line to the tree. Imagine, if you will, a coupling of the access and ancor rope under the branch or crotch. This coupling would grab tight on the anchor but slip on the acsess, allowing a small bit of slack in the anchor, thus putting all the weight on the access. If the anchor was cut it wouldn't affect the access. The problem would be how to remotely remove the coupling by the groundie - the solution would be a quick release device activated by a light throw line which could run parallel with the anchor line. How to build a quick release device I would leave to better mechanical mi ds than mine.

I tend to redirect my rope down to my base tie, reducing the force, not often its vertically straight up from my base tie. To be fair if your anchoring on something that can't take the extra forces it's generally a weak anchor in the first place. Don't think anyone has snapped out there too anchor that I know of, but I'm probably wrong haha

You've rather inadvertently put your finger on my beef with SRT promotions!

The false notion that a base tied SRT system's upper redirect point requires no more structural strength than a DDRT TIP does!

I thought we were being honest here mates!

Yu know?

Jomoco