Logsplitter modding

Andy5600

Hello Guys,

Looking for some advice about a petrol logsplitter.

I am planning to buy a new one but the sub 1k 10 ton machines i have been looking at seem/look to be painfully slow on the downward cycle,

Has anyone swapped out the hydraulic pump on one of these for a 2 stage unit and maybe put a bigger engine on or think this would be easy swap to do.

another mod i would do is make it foot control.

I have considered building my own one but cannot find a good one to base it upon...yet.

Thanks,

If you mod it and it bights you that's your problem, if it is used by someone else and it bights then that's also your problem and you might have to sell your house to put it right. Foot control is a big HSE no no

More speed makes more heat and depending on the duty cycle you might end up fitting an oil cooler to stop the thing from "boiling up".

If you fit a 2 stage pump and bigger engine then you will probably have to change all the fittings and pipe work as it will be too small ID to cope and will stall the engine and over heat the fluid . Also the tank wont be big enough . You need 3-5 times the flow rate in liters/gallons or it will over heat . What I mean is if you have say 16GPM flow rate then you need at least 3x16 = 48 gal. capacity tank .

Edited by Stubby

I built one earlier this year and it took a while to decide what engine/pump arrangement. I am very happy with how mine works, 9hp honda engine with 11gpm 2 stage hi/lo pump. that cost around £1000 to build from scratch. I would most certainly build another if I needed it, but I am the only one who uses it so no employee worries etc.

If you have the money to buy one for £1000 then spend probably another £2-500 on an engine ( depending on make ) and then at least another £100 on a pump, plus any extra oil storage or cooling and fittings/pipework needed. this of course would then depend if said modified splitter works properly, you are really left with 2 options that i can see;

1- spend more money and get a better manufactured one that suits your needs

2- spend more time looking at what your ideal machine would be and then fabricate the thing yourself

I dont think you would save yourself any time, money or hassle if you where to modify in the long run. plus any warranty would almost definitely be void if you modify.

I bought a woodline multipla wl 10, Honda engine, tilts, double pump, really good, cost 1100, will split 95 % and only gnarled up stuff gets a refusal, I would have another in no time, I also bought a double pump Thor 13 ton vertical with table four way and wide wedge, hardly ever gets used, it's always little red multipla that gets used everyone's favourite difficult to find though as fuelwood don't sell them anymore, although I have seen they have some specials on the amr range and they are good too, I would buy new and try not to mod, but depends who's going to be using it ?

I dont understand the gpm argument in so far as; why is a petrol unit giving 11-20 gpm better than say a compact tractor with 30-40 gpm. PSI is the critical figure, but say it was constant, surely the higher gpm from the compact would be better.

The reason I'm asking, talking to a few people; they tell me a petrol engined machine is the way to go, but all that noise, plus having to buy another engine, which needs more petrol which I hate, as its smelly stuff. For me a tractor is quieter, nimble and uses diesel!!

A good electric version would be ideal; but useless on site. But how many people split on a job? Mines all in a shed now, so am even thinking electric is the answer!

Decisions, decisions.

I dont understand the gpm argument in so far as; why is a petrol unit giving 11-20 gpm better than say a compact tractor with 30-40 gpm. PSI is the critical figure, but say it was constant, surely the higher gpm from the compact would be better.

The reason I'm asking, talking to a few people; they tell me a petrol engined machine is the way to go, but all that noise, plus having to buy another engine, which needs more petrol which I hate, as its smelly stuff. For me a tractor is quieter, nimble and uses diesel!!

A good electric version would be ideal; but useless on site. But how many people split on a job? Mines all in a shed now, so am even thinking electric is the answer!

Decisions, decisions.

Get a pto driven splitter with an electric motor.

Best of both worlds.

Electric for when your in the shed, but also gives you the option to take it to a job on the back of the tractor

Foot operated?? People should be shot who use them!

Petrol engines you don't like???

And so it's a compact tractor (or similar) you like....?

A PTO driven pump then.

(I wouldn't rely on their own pump for needing constant flow to work a splitter)..

Return flow via a cooler radiator with it's fan driven by the pumps hydraulics too....