ideas for self employment

Will Cobb

I don't no what experience you have but in general it frightens me all the "fresh out of college" or "decide new career change" people who are going out and going self employed straight away. Even the most experienced of us have near misses, or serious accidents. It's just not worth going it alone unless you know what you're doing. I'm all up for training and getting experience but imo everyone needs to get time served with another company.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

I agree with Ian there. Need experience before you start working as subbie.

Ask yourself this. - do you feel comfortable tackling most jobs? from prunings, and big removals to site clearance work

If the anser is yes..save up buy a van and all your tools and start advertising.

Your skills are good and employers are after a guy like you.

If the answer is no..then you will have to serve your time like everyone else has and learn the trade.

Subbing for company's is hard work and even the best of climbers find it hard going.

I agree with your comments Ian but, in my experience so far, getting anywhere with other companies is very difficult as opportunities seem to be few and far between at the moment. I'm slowly getting breaks from some kind people on here but it has been hard going.

I know it's not easy it is a hard slog but can be very rewarding once you get there, You will learn alot on here and if your willing to graft your chance will come.:001_smile:

I know it's not easy it is a hard slog but can be very rewarding once you get there, You will learn alot on here and if your willing to graft your chance will come.:001_smile:

Oh, I graft, don't worry about that :001_smile: It was a real pleasure to get a chance to have a chat with the guy who trained me for CS31 when I saw him at Ickworth yesterday, helped to put things in perspective about where I am going with this career change.

As someone else said I think you need to give a few more details of what experience and skills you have and who you have done or do work for (not the company names but is it LA, privately owned business, subbing, full time employment etc) to get some helpful more precise feedback.

if youve no experience, or not up to speed climbing yet, and finding it hard to get employed, try being a subbie groundie

if youre experienced climber capable of doing anything to any tree in any location either go subbie climber with all the tools to do the job, or start youre own company

i think i ask this on behalf of all of us

how experienced are you? whats youre employment history?

Do you know local tree surgeons ? If not you'll have to sell yourself to them and build a relationship as a subbie. Therefore money won't be top wack to start with as you'll have no track history.

Fill in some blanks and maybe some of the contract climbers on here wil pipe up and help you make an informed choice. It's very difficult to help with so little information !:confused1:

I done some climbing for matt when he was going down here i know alot of companys around my area and can climb to a good standard thats why im always busy as a suby climber and my own work. I think if you are asking this question you must green to tree work.