ideas for self employment

Will Cobb

thinking bout going self employed anyone got any ideas what kind of things i could do in tree work like doing my own jobs working for other people letting people hire me out using my kit? any ideas

how long you been doing tree work for?

If you want to work as subbie..get on the phone to tree surgeon companys.

( sell yourself )

thinking bout going self employed anyone got any ideas what kind of things i could do in tree work like doing my own jobs working for other people letting people hire me out using my kit? any ideas

Step back and think !

Are you employed in the industry already ?

If not then then I wouldn't bother !

If you are:-

How much money do you need to earn a month to make self-employment work ?

Do you know local tree surgeons ? If not you'll have to sell yourself to them and build a relationship as a subbie. Therefore money won't be top wack to start with as you'll have no track history.

Fill in some blanks and maybe some of the contract climbers on here wil pipe up and help you make an informed choice. It's very difficult to help with so little information !:confused1:

I don't mean any disrespect but if you have to ask those questions then i wouldn't go self employed you would be a danger to yourself and others.

Surely you should know what you are good at and if you know that then you have answered your question.

I don't no what experience you have but in general it frightens me all the "fresh out of college" or "decide new career change" people who are going out and going self employed straight away. Even the most experienced of us have near misses, or serious accidents. It's just not worth going it alone unless you know what you're doing. I'm all up for training and getting experience but imo everyone needs to get time served with another company.

I don't mean any disrespect but if you have to ask those questions then i wouldn't go self employed you would be a danger to yourself and others.

Surely you should know what you are good at and if you know that then you have answered your question.

I don't no what experience you have but in general it frightens me all the "fresh out of college" or "decide new career change" people who are going out and going self employed straight away. Even the most experienced of us have near misses, or serious accidents. It's just not worth going it alone unless you know what you're doing. I'm all up for training and getting experience but imo everyone needs to get time served with another company.

Dont be so negative Ian:001_rolleyes:

Your supposed to be encouraging these young fellows:laugh1:

I agree with your comments Ian but, in my experience so far, getting anywhere with other companies is very difficult as opportunities seem to be few and far between at the moment. I'm slowly getting breaks from some kind people on here but it has been hard going.

Yes, sure, but at least you know what you want to do?

I agree, if this chap needs to ask what sort of work he could do then he probably can't actually do much. I don't agree with Ian that this makes him a danger to himself due to lack of experience because he won't get any work in the first place so won't be a danger to anyone!!

My reply would be. If you are good at massive crane takedowns then go and do that on a sefl employed basis for companies that need that kind of thing, and if your good at sweeping sawdust off the road then go and do that instead.

I agree with Ed, it was a trick question!

Indeed, Rupe, the problem isn't in me not knowing what I want to do but in finding someone that it all fits with. I have a slight advantage in that I'm only looking for 3 days a week but at the moment it's a result when I get one. Luckily, I have other things which pay but it is still a struggle at times.