Forst build quality

simonm

Admittedly I have an st8 and I have a couple of niggles.

But really? Your machine works fine, a cut off washer and a bearing holder that may or may not be right, and you're on here mithering without even seeing if it's standard.

You have a warranty I presume?

I am asking if anybody else has the issue with the bearing, and yes it's still in warranty.

I've seen hundreds of pillow bearings on farm machinery and have never seen one with a jagged edge chipped off before.

Does your st8 have lump knocked out of the pillow bearing?

It's not a case of its working fine it's a case of what's acceptable on a 30 grand plus machine.

I am asking if anybody else has the issue with the bearing, and yes it's still in warranty.

I've seen hundreds of pillow bearings on farm machinery and have never seen one with a jagged edge chipped off before.

Does your st8 have lump knocked out of the pillow bearing?

It's not a case of its working fine it's a case of what's acceptable on a 30 grand plus machine.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Simon I think your right to bring up these issues. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut in the chipper manufacturers defence ( all of them ) they are not producing high volumes of these machines and are probably aware of most of these silly avoidable mistakes, given time they will probably dial out a lot of these engineering fubars.We are running five different makes of chipper and I could pick holes in all of them , that said by and large they all get the job done.

Bob

Sounds good, your turn to come down south though.

There was a period a month or two ago where both my new truck and new chipper were out of action at the same time. The truck with a faulty exhaust sensor, and the chipper with a mysterious roller stopping problem.

So I was driving around in the tranny with the TW on the back thinking "I bought new stuff to avoid just this sort of thing,"

All sorted now, as long as we can keep working and earning, that's the main thing.

Simon I think your right to bring up these issues. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut in the chipper manufacturers defence ( all of them ) they are not producing high volumes of these machines and are probably aware of most of these silly avoidable mistakes, given time they will probably dial out a lot of these engineering fubars.We are running five different makes of chipper and I could pick holes in all of them , that said by and large they all get the job done.

Bob

I dont agree with all of that bob, in my mind there's no way this bearing is meant to be like it is. If its not right dont send it out! If you pruned a tree and didn't use finishing cuts would you just leave it anyway? Reputation is built on quality not "it will do".

I know stuff needs ironing out in manufacturing, I purposely waited until they had being out over a year to avoid the lemons, if its **** why not fix it then send it out.

Sounds good, your turn to come down south though.

There was a period a month or two ago where both my new truck and new chipper were out of action at the same time. The truck with a faulty exhaust sensor, and the chipper with a mysterious roller stopping problem.

So I was driving around in the tranny with the TW on the back thinking "I bought new stuff to avoid just this sort of thing,"

All sorted now, as long as we can keep working and earning, that's the main thing.

Sounds like me with the handbrake binding on a van with 100 miles on it.