Fitness Standards For Industries

jomoco

A fifty dollar polyester folding stretcher, packaged into a one foot square two inch wide configuration that'll slide under any truck seat, in every foreman's tool truck?

Mighty handy!

Prolly in OZ,NZ n Canada too.

Jomoco

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched quite a few wannabe climbers lose it on a lateral and slap the trunk with lung puncturing force.

But that don't happen in the jolly UK, right mates?

Jomoco

No not very often. Probably more chance of being squashed by a truck on the way to the job than puncture a lung on a stub. Maybe we should carry a set of 'jaws of life' in the truck instead.

We don't need stretchers in the UK so I would give it a miss pushing that one tbh.

I've watched quite a few wannabe climbers lose it on a lateral and slap the trunk with lung puncturing force.

But that don't happen in the jolly UK, right mates?

Jomoco

Interesting, how many of those incidents resulted in an injury by penetrating wound (that is the tangent we are on now isn't it?), and how did you use a stretcher to treat them.

Do folks in the USA let the inexperienced get into a bad place like that? In the UK we tell them to use a WP lanyard or a second rope.

Yeah, fifty bucks n Saran Wrap's a bridge too for a Brit foreman, eh?

This is the lounge lads, take a chill pill, pint or whatever and tell me what your true beef is with life n death emergency preparedness, in this biz, or any other hazardous profession. It takes less than five minutes to bleed out from a nicked femoral artery. Why shouldn't the foreman take charge immediately, with every tool at their disposal?

Do you have a plan B when an EMT ain't around to save your hide?

Jomoco

Interesting, how many of those incidents resulted in an injury by penetrating wound (that is the tangent we are on now isn't it?), and how did you use a stretcher to treat them.

Do folks in the USA let the inexperienced get into a bad place like that? In the UK we tell them to use a WP lanyard or a second rope.

Read the UK chainsaw accident statistics I linked to mate.

They clearly show that the bulk of UK injuries occur in the private self employed sector of the tree n landscape industry, not the commercial or municipal sector.

To answer your stretcher question, a punctured lung victim should be kept on their side, the puncture sealed with plastic after exhaling, affected lung lowest, on a semi upright incline. Then transported ASAP. Every army med knows the routine.

Why shouldn't you? It's been proven to save lives, even in the UK.

Jomoco

Hi jomoco , most of the production cutters and climbers have to do first aid courses every four years in the uk , is this common practice in the States?

I know of a very bad incident near me recently where a guy lost 5 pints of blood and a tourniquet saved him.. Thank god for the training!!

Hi jomoco , most of the production cutters and climbers have to do first aid courses every four years in the uk , is this common practice in the States?

I know of a very bad incident near me recently where a guy lost 5 pints of blood and a tourniquet saved him.. Thank god for the training!!

Emergency Med training is a requisite for some ISA certs here, as well as for obtaining a State Licensed Contractor number, as I recall.

Typical basic stuff, blowing into a dummy on a gurney etc. Nothing about punctured lungs though. I learned about that the hard way, and sheer good luck that my purely amateurish puncture plugging with the palm of my motocross glove, and use of foldaway reclining camping chair, in the back of a 4X4 truck saved my riding buddy's life. He basically impaled himself on a manzanita stub, on an extremely steep downhill section of our favorite motox track. Right through his chest protector, jersey, right tit n lung.

We call him ole one tit now!

Jomoco

Read the UK chainsaw accident statistics I linked to mate.

They clearly show that the bulk of UK injuries occur in the private self employed sector of the tree n landscape industry, not the commercial or municipal sector.

To answer your stretcher question, a punctured lung victim should be kept on their side, the puncture sealed with plastic after exhaling, affected lung lowest, on a semi upright incline. Then transported ASAP. Every army med knows the routine.

Why shouldn't you? It's been proven to save lives, even in the UK.

Jomoco

Short version is you didn't link to the UK stats, that link goes to some EU vanity project. If they were the UK stats the site would be appended .gov.uk

One of the things that the document accepts, is what the HSE also freely admits, which is that the HSE stats are misleading as far as tree work goes.

The HSE mandate is way broader than tree work and despite best intentions, lack of resources means they are forced to lump any one using a chainsaw commercially in one category. This is regardless of anything as fundamental as qualification to use a saw.

Basing any conclusions on a fundamentally flawed data set is a bad idea. GIGO

The document also makes reference to the FC stats which are forestry and in no way related to arboriculture which represents a further muddying of "stats" water.

You probably wont be aware of this but there is quite a bit of hoo haa in the forestry (as opposed to Arb) industry about enforced CPD and training with the co horts of the FC (forestry commission) and the rest (mostly contractors) on the other side. There is plenty on here about that if you are interested enough to wade through it.

This is the lounge lads, take a chill pill, pint or whatever and tell me what your true beef is with life n death emergency preparedness,

No one has a beef with those issues but I and clearly others don't like getting peached at by someone who clearly knows too little about the UK or tree work in the UK. Have you ever worked in the UK, have you ever been here?

You do come over "kinda preachy"