Is there a lack of groundman?

swinny

I spent years with crap groundes,

I them got a great one who is now a climber/foreman who I have invested in a lot. Tickets towing mewp etc.

Because of this I have more time to peruse decent work,

Now we have great jobs with little domestic or dragging, great kit, lorries and chippers and we have a good reputation.

Lads are beating at the door for work.

I also don't really consider some lads climbers some groundes we can all climb at different skill levels and usually the least skilled guy climbs so we can all improve.

I like to think were all tree guys in it together.

This is a top attitude. I've spent thousands on kit for fencing, as yet I've not made big money, but I was reassured the other day when our tractor and post knocker was parked up less than 100meters from 2 lads from a bigger outfit than us doing less than 70m of post and rail by hand. Taken them over 3 days. It wouldn't of taken me a day on my own.

Morale, aches etc it's not worth it. Good kit, top blokes(and ladies) jobs a pleasure.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see eggs point of view I.e the rate is the rate- a top notch experienced climber who will almost always be a skilled experienced all round exemplary tree worker isn't going to come and out for £80 a day. However even on the ground they are worth their rate as they'll no doubt be excellent at felling and able to organise the site and keep things running how they should. But few guys actually have all these skills, most have no mechanical sense/ knowledge, poor sequencing and generally need to be prodded or advised on how to proceed....can't reverse a trailer etc etc where as in my experience the guys on a good rate can do all this and are conversant or have a good aptitude for most equipment you may come across in tree work.

However, I think the rates the OP is talking about are right for your usual average groundy, who should definitely have aspirations of becoming the above as it's highly valued by employers, but not for someone at the top of their game working on the ground for a day...Furthermore it wouldn't be realistic to run a three man team and have a £450 wage bill so the whole rate is the rate thing isn't very realistic all things considered.

Yes. One of the best posts so far. 👍🏼

If you think its hard to find decent labourers now just wait until brexit kicks in. The workshy, benefit grabbers snd sicknote seekers wont be in any hurry to fill the migrant workers boots.

Bob

Right on Bob. I know a few 'leave' voters who told me "well it can't get any worse if we leave can it!"

Ha! Morons.

Although this is content for another thread.

I need to talk to you actually about two jobs, I'll call later.

When you sit home chilling with your better half sharing the bottle if wine, switching on big brother on tv, that's when I reached my half day of work..

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well don't get me wrong, there are few things worse than Big Brother, but you say that as though it's a good thing.

What do you hope to earn for yourself (not net) in your 16 hour day?

Do you have a family? Kids?

Do your clients not mind a stump grinder going full whack at 20.00 when they're trying to enjoy a bottle of wine with Big Brother?

I suppose they'd overlook it if it's half the price of the next quote.

I do not think its a lack of grounds man, it's a lack of employers who can't put the effort forward to build good morale in the work force. You employ and you create and build self confidence in your staff, you create your own culture . I'm about to expand quite a lot and could have done it earlier, work must be fun, if it's not then me as a employer have failed to create a good environment for my staff.

I do not think its a lack of grounds man, it's a lack of employers who can't put the effort forward to build good morale in the work force. You employ and you create and build self confidence in your staff, you create your own culture . I'm about to expand quite a lot and could have done it earlier, work must be fun, if it's not then me as a employer have failed to create a good environment for my staff.

Ye gods man you sound like one of those gum banging politicians, all buz words and hollow promises.