What are you charging for your logs this season

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm surprised the hardwood/softwood price difference is so little. Density of most seasoned softwoods is around half most hardwoods, so around half the btus in a m3, and you end up loading stoves twice as often, ish. So as a custmoer its worth paying about (almost) twice as much for hardwood as it is for softwood. That assumes quality is equal and hardwood is available.

You have a point Neiln but dry softwood is not half the weight of hardwood. Wood Densities

From the sellers point of view it takes as long to process and deliver a cube of hardwood as it does softwood so not really an option to turn it out cheap. Our prices for this year are £100 a cube for hardwood and £75 for soft.

You have a point Neiln but dry softwood is not half the weight of hardwood. Wood Densities

From the sellers point of view it takes as long to process and deliver a cube of hardwood as it does softwood so not really an option to turn it out cheap. Our prices for this year are £100 a cube for hardwood and £75 for soft.

Absolutely I get that transporting, processing, seasoning etc of wood is the same, hard or soft, so any cost difference can only be cost to buy the cord, so minimal. I'm just surprised its quite so small just because as a customer it seems hardwood is so much better...less storage space needed and less handling/feeding a stove for the same heat.

Cheers for the table linked - ok, looks like hard is ~ 0.75 and soft around ~0.5 so 2/3rds density.

£100 a cube here. Intentionally on the high side - customers say we're dryer than competition, and friendlier about helping unload. (handled out of pick up, and regularly do weekends.) And it's almost certainly a bit more than a cube. All our own wood and we don't go more than a few miles.

If we had a proper processor I might start selling softwood - just because thinning lengths are so much straighter - but just hardwoods for now on an upright splitter. I do burn a bit of pine and spruce myself. Noticeably less heat per log, and resin stickiness is another downside. It doesn't make sense for customers to want them, but if there's something at £100 a cube and something else at £70 a cube they'll go for the cheap one regardless.

Hardwood

£94 for 90x90x90

£120 for 97x97x110

Softwood

£84.00 90x90x90

£100 97x97x110

not prepared to work for free and at our prices we don't get the hagglers and very few non payers mostly professional people easy to deal with.

We are just processing whats in the yard and some of the windblow on the estate atm and waiting to see how things go. not investing fortunes into stock for economy to tank and people stop spending when we are on the luxury end.

how do you figure that ?

Cord delivered costs

Man power

fuels

oils

ground rental or purchase

rates

hand tools purchase / replacement

processor purchase / replacement

Vehicle running costs & replacement costs

business insurance

Employers insurance

Your wages for hours worked

Plus the one everyone forgets, Company profits & taxes

Cord delivered costs

Man power

fuels

oils

ground rental or purchase

rates

hand tools purchase / replacement

processor purchase / replacement

Vehicle running costs & replacement costs

business insurance

Employers insurance

Your wages for hours worked

Plus the one everyone forgets, Company profits & taxes

I think most of the people on here will have worked out their costings and know what they need to charge. I've got a page of costings with that list and a lot more and while our prices won't make us rich we make a living and we and our customers are happy with the price and product which is the main thing.

I think most of the people on here will have worked out their costings and know what they need to charge. I've got a page of costings with that list and a lot more and while our prices won't make us rich we make a living and we and our customers are happy with the price and product which is the main thing.

there are a lot of people though who sell ready to burn logs cheaper than cord cost and haven't figured out they could make more money just selling the cord without the bother of processing and delivering and there seems to be more and more doing the 4m3 £200 brigade not sustainable on their end and putting massive pressure on people selling at realistic prices.

there are a lot of people though who sell ready to burn logs cheaper than cord cost and haven't figured out they could make more money just selling the cord without the bother of processing and delivering and there seems to be more and more doing the 4m3 £200 brigade not sustainable on their end and putting massive pressure on people selling at realistic prices.

Fair point. Good for customers though I suppose. It's also hard to compete with with people who get their wood for free but it's all part of the fun of the business.

£100 a cube here. Intentionally on the high side - customers say we're dryer than competition, and friendlier about helping unload. (handled out of pick up, and regularly do weekends.) And it's almost certainly a bit more than a cube. All our own wood and we don't go more than a few miles.

If we had a proper processor I might start selling softwood - just because thinning lengths are so much straighter - but just hardwoods for now on an upright splitter. I do burn a bit of pine and spruce myself. Noticeably less heat per log, and resin stickiness is another downside. It doesn't make sense for customers to want them, but if there's something at £100 a cube and something else at £70 a cube they'll go for the cheap one regardless.

In my experience softwood burns hotter than hardwood. There's also less ash left over. If you have plenty I'd burn softwood over hardwood.