How strict are VOSA on towing weights?

Woodworks

I would have thought that, by definition, a trailer is something that carries something (goods). Therefore a chipper isn't a trailer but mobile machinery. A tracked chipper in a trailer would be a load and wouldn't be.

I would agree.

However its not my opinion that matters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New build trailers (and this would be one) should go through an SVA test now.

There is no SVA now It's IVA A trailer is something that you pull with another vehicle it doesn't have to carry anything. Caravan or chipper, if it's hooked up to another vehicle it's a trailer.

Good luck:biggrin:

I've asked countless times and had a different definitive answer every time.

Its a matter of knowing which dept to contact re different issues.

I am contacting them regularly re different issues as part of my job.

Plus make sure its is in writing........

I think it's quite telling that all the chipper manufacturers are going down the type approval route for their trailed machines.

We have to Pete, all trailed devises have to be built to a set of standards with no deviation allowed from our stand point. For example, if came along and specified something slightly different, like a different set of wheels, they cannot be done by the factory. We can supply them loose however and it is up to you to fit them. Even prototype units without homologation papers have to be carried and not towed!

There is no SVA now It's IVA A trailer is something that you pull with another vehicle it doesn't have to carry anything. Caravan or chipper, if it's hooked up to another vehicle it's a trailer.

Thanks all. There's a lot of knowledge kicking around :thumbup:

One thing about here is all trailers over 500kg have to have their own log book, number plate and insurance.

So if you steal a chipper it's effectivly worthless except for scrap as no one would buy an "unregistered" trailer/chipper/cement mixer.

Well, some would, but for example the British assembled GM 220 I sold over here was bought by someone who took it off the axels and put it on a trailer. (All legal mind, I explained it was made in the uk and not homologated for France)

Would cut down on trailer/chipper thefts if the thief knew you couldn't just sell it at near market value and the buyer just slap some plates on.

Edited by Mick Dempsey