Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

32 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

Even if you can't doesn't mean you shouldn't.

You think?

I generally think those who feel the need to reach for insults come across as unable to offer a counter argument, which in turn can appear to strengthen the argument of those they insult.

Far better to ignore or give a sound counter view, IMO.

Just now, skyhuck said:

You think?

I generally think those who feel the need to reach for insults come across as unable to offer a counter argument, which in turn can appear to strengthen the argument of those they insult.

Far better to ignore or give a sound counter view, IMO.

You think your way, I'll think mine.

2 hours ago, WesD said:

His parents had/have to live with any and every decision they made and the reason they went to court was to extend his life so he had every possible chance of living and they could spend more time with their son. 

As as a parent I would have done the same rightly or wrongly because the one decision I couldn't have lived with for the rest of my days would have been the one where I was ok with the drs ending my child's life. 

As an ethical dilemma, its up there with the best. But, is it wise to prolong the agony of a dying child because the parents can't face up to making a difficult decision?.  I think not.  

Easy for us to say as outsiders but they where looking for hope in hindsight where there was none but still I'd have acted the same, no way would I live with myself if I had made the decision to say enough is enough. 

4 hours ago, WesD said:

Wasn't aimed at you Kevin it was more towards matelot. 

It is the same rhetoric every post. It starts having the opposite effect he intends because he posts the same intention within every post. 

I have a view point somewhere between the middle and the right but I don't tell everyone about it within every post or try to hide my message within every post. 

I post varied content with with differing views on all subjects be it arb, politics or news related topics as do you, just wish others would offer the same to stop the closed minded (as you put it) tripe. 

Closed minded fits his content as it's a 1 way viewpoint every time and frankly relentless so  quite a fitting offering from you Kevin. 

Didn't take it personally Wes, and neither was the reply meant as such.  Since the close down, and loss of tempo, I had to look back at some of your other posts to see if there was a common theme that indicated a political persuasion.  Didn't find one!!  (that only added to the confusion! :D) I was genuinely a little confused at what the message you were presenting was - was it a suggestion that the book, or anyone that bought / read it was 'extreme.'  I genuinely couldn't fathom.  I can't wait to get started on it but have to finish reading "Freedom...is more than a seven-letter word first"  It's not a bad read, hope it breaks into a bit more detail before the end though - mid way through recommend would certainly be that it's worth a look.  It could probably be considered as a fairly severe swing in genre from that to our Tommy!  Good post above mate :thumbup1: 

Just now, WesD said:

, no way would I live with myself if I had made the decision to say enough is enough. 

And, that is the point isn't it.. Parents find it difficult to make the right call, thats why Doctors have to nudge them with their medical advice.. thus freeing the parents of any associated guilt. 

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I'll wait till Mr Johnson as read his copy then scrounge it off him.

It'll be done by after holibobs, I'll either, mail it to you if it's not worth keeping, or tell you it's a 'must buy' and I'm not letting my copy go!  So, if I mail it to you it might be that it ain't worth the time of reading it, if not, you'll have to dig in  :D

1 minute ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It'll be done by after holibobs, I'll either, mail it to you if it's not worth keeping, or tell you it's a 'must buy' and I'm not letting my copy go!  So, if I mail it to you it might be that it ain't worth the time of reading it, if not, you'll have to dig in  :D

Sounds fair enough to me.

1 minute ago, Vespasian said:

And, that is the point isn't it.. Parents find it difficult to make the right call, thats why Doctors have to nudge them with their medical advice.. thus freeing the parents of any associated guilt. 

True but when other doctors want to take a look and offer hope i.e. The yank and the pope you have a duty to explore those avenues. We are all different but knowing I had explored every option and the end result was the same I'm sure time would heal somewhat and my conscience would be clean. 

Again it's easy looking from the outside in, I couldn't imagine having to live through what those parents have gone through. 

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Can you say that round here?:o

Not being a girl or anything..... but, if ever there was a topic that could fairly be considered as not appropriate for 3rd party comment, I can't think of one that more appropriately deserves some reserved respect than this one...  Just my tuppence - whilst respecting the rights of free speech and the right to be offended by the right of free speech (and the right to be offended by someone suggesting the right to free speech might be offensive, if you get my drift...)  Christ, how can anyone seriously want to try and delve into the world of pain that someone else might be experiencing in such circumstances?