Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

12 minutes ago, Welshfred said:

Did you only read the first 4 paragraphs then? When I said "in depth" I was warning of a quite lengthy read if you can get past phrases that irritate. I thought it genuinely interesting to the very end and as I said, pretty well balanced. The issues discussed will affect you more directly than many of us I would think, although the wider impact affects us all one way or another.

That wasn’t directed at yourself, the article was ok as far as a Guardian article on oil and gas ever can be. My own personal opinion is the whole UK sector N Sea Oil and Gas industry and opportunities have been catastrophically mismanaged from the very first day and still is now. 

Edited by Johnsond

5 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

catastrophically mismanaged

Hard to disagree.

Do you agree the transition has to happen at some point? Even if you ignore net zero issues we will run out eventually, they don't make that stuff anymore. Sunlight, wind, tides, green hydrogen should all be available for a long long time, providing energy and jobs for as long as there are people probably.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Welshfred said:

Hard to disagree.

Do you agree the transition has to happen at some point? Even if you ignore net zero issues we will run out eventually, they don't make that stuff anymore. Sunlight, wind, tides, green hydrogen should all be available for a long long time, providing energy and jobs for as long as there are people probably.

Horses, wind,coal , steam, oil, nuclear etc etc of course there is always change and progress but most definitely not at the level and pace some lunatics are demanding or when it literally hobbles you as an individual or nation. We just don’t have the technology etc in place. Oil will be required and around long after everyone who is on here today is in the ground. 

I simply don't understand why we ever even stopped hunting whales for the precious spermaceti they produce. It lit our homes, it is a renewable resource, it provided jobs for thousands of hard-working families, not that the wig-wearing aristocrats in their ivory towers would know anything about that (and don't even get me started on ivory... another renewable resource!), and we, as an island nation, have a rich history of harvesting the bounty of the seas. My family in particular go back generations in the whaling game, so I have an in-depth and unbiased wealth of knowledge on the subject.

All these bloody retards saying that we are just going to run out of whales are off their bloody rockers, have you even seen how much ocean there is out there? It's bloody massive! We could never run out!

This newfangled idea of electrification and these bloody stupid incandescent light bulbs are just a flash in the pan, a phase, a fleeting trend. It'll all be gone in a few years and all the sensible, pragmatic, common-sense-led people will realise that whale oil is the only realistic method we've got available to us for lighting our homes.

Edited by peds
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

My own personal opinion is the whole UK sector N Sea Oil and Gas industry and opportunities have been catastrophically mismanaged from the very first day and still is now. 

Yes - UK governments - con and lab = short sighted retards

The Government Pension Fund of Norway is composed of two entirely separate sovereign wealth funds owned by the government of Norway. The Government Pension Fund Global, also known as the Oil Fund, was established in 1990 to invest the surplus revenues of the Norwegian petroleum sector. Wikipedia
Founded: 1967; 1990

Can one of the experts tell me where I can go today to get the clean net zero  guilt free save the planet energy and petrol oil and lubricants they must be using. Long BS tales about whales etc “ spare me”. 

57 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Yes - UK governments - con and lab = short sighted retards

The Government Pension Fund of Norway is composed of two entirely separate sovereign wealth funds owned by the government of Norway. The Government Pension Fund Global, also known as the Oil Fund, was established in 1990 to invest the surplus revenues of the Norwegian petroleum sector. Wikipedia
Founded: 1967; 1990

I’m aware of what it is, I work with enough Noggies to understand how it works.