Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

27 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Happy St. George's day:

NEWS.SKY.COM

The Metropolitan Police releases footage showing a group of men - some draped in St George's flags - clashing with officers in Whitehall.

If Corbyn had got in we'd have been able to charge double for the bank holiday. 

Watched a lot of that today Mark and as always there’s good and bad but the double standards shown in regards policing this event and the restrictions placed upon it  compared to the numerous pro Palestinian/Hamas marches was blatant as is  the tone of the reporting. I’ve been around a few countries over the years and I’d struggle to name one where the national flag is held in such low esteem as it is here in England. London cab drivers can’t even display it today. 

Posted (edited)

Because, whether you like it or not, English patriotism has been hijacked by racism. 
I cannot explain why, there is possibly a link to England football fans, all I can say is it’s not the same in France.

Back in 2002 I (as an England fan) managed to convince the wife to holiday in Thailand (Koh Samui) during the World Cup, which just happened to be in a similar time zone to Korea/Japan.

We go to the big tourist pub to watch England v Argentina, packed with England fans and the atmosphere is very nasty and unpleasant, big tattooed bruisers hurling abuse and creating an unsafe environment, some Thai bloke on a moped was lucky to escape a hiding just by riding past the pub wearing an Argentina shirt.

Beckham penalty, England win, big sigh of relief.

2 nights before it’s Ireland against Germany, pub packed with Irish, singing and in good humour all night, despite Ireland losing till the last minute, when Robbie Keane gets a late equaliser, cue joyous pandemonium.

I didn’t feel unsafe for me or the wife the whole evening.

It opened my eyes a bit the contrast between the two nights.

I suspect the sort of ‘patriots’ in the pub for the England game are the same sort on that march.

I hear what people are saying about the Hamas march etc.

But let’s not paint the St George’s March as a real expression of English national pride.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Watched a lot of that today Mark and as always there’s good and bad but the double standards shown in regards policing this event and the restrictions placed upon it  compared to the numerous pro Palestinian/Hamas marches was blatant as is  the tone of the reporting. I’ve been around a few countries over the years and I’d struggle to name one where the national flag is held in such low esteem as it is here in England. London cab drivers can’t even display it today. 

It's possible to support Palestinians and be anti Hamas, in the same way it's possible to support the people of Israel but be against their Zionist government.

Meatheads draped in flags should be sent to Rwanda..

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Because, whether you like it or not, English patriotism has been hijacked by racism. 
I cannot explain why, there is possibly a link to England football fans, all I can say is it’s not the same in France.

Back in 2002 I (as an England fan) managed to convince the wife to holiday in Thailand (Koh Samui) during the World Cup, which just happened to be in a similar time zone to Korea/Japan.

We go to the big tourist pub to watch England v Argentina, packed with England fans and the atmosphere is very nasty and unpleasant, big tattooed bruisers hurling abuse and creating an unsafe environment, some Thai bloke on a moped was lucky to escape a hiding just by riding past the pub wearing an Argentina shirt.

Beckham penalty, England win, big sigh of relief.

2 nights before it’s Ireland against Germany, pub packed with Irish, singing and in good humour all night, despite Ireland losing till the last minute, when Robbie Keane gets a late equaliser, cue joyous pandemonium.

I didn’t feel unsafe for me or the wife the whole evening.

It opened my eyes a bit the contrast between the two nights.

I suspect the sort of ‘patriots’ in the pub for the England game are the same sort on that march.

I hear what people are saying about the Hamas march etc.

But let’s not paint the St George’s March as a real expression of English national pride.

As I said at the beginning of my post there’s good and bad everywhere. I still see double standards in regards the policing and reporting. When you realise that London cabs are not even allowed to fly it on one day a year you know things have gone the wrong way🤷‍♂️
It was my regimental day, so always a good laugh to be had back then and no stigma involved in displaying the flag. 
Mick when it comes to football hooliganism English fans are amateurs nowadays. 

Edited by Johnsond

15 minutes ago, Mark J said:

It's possible to support Palestinians and be anti Hamas, in the same way it's possible to support the people of Israel but be against their Zionist government.

Meatheads draped in flags should be sent to Rwanda..

Including those draped in Palestinian flags I take it Mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Any meathead in any flag who has nefarious purposes. I'm not one to discriminate.. 

Good 👍

Although I presume it’s that “ right  wing extremism “ the media pump out relentlessly that you are actually meaning. 
Im looking for all those right wing terrorist arracks bombings, beheadings, stabbings etc etc in the UK Mark ??????? got any links or sources ?

Interesting to see the fact that even those media sources I’d see as left of centre are openly admitting its blatant two tier policing that was witnessed today. 

Edited by Johnsond