Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

That wasn’t my question, but we can overlook that.

On site in Manchester recently brickies (2&1) are earning £800/thousand bricks laid, the team I was speaking to said they were averaging 1400 bricks/day on a 3 way split. Slightly better for the working man, don’t you think?

It's overly simplistic to look at it in this manner. £450 a day is lovely, especially as an increase from £200, but that money has to come from somewhere. Massive pay rises are inflationary, and the money to pay for them isn't coming from efficiency savings. It's coming from charging the customer more, which is also inflationary. 

Couple that with the massive amount of red tape around our borders on import/export, and you have further inflationary pressures. These factors are all part of the reason the UK is struggling so badly to reign in inflation.

I'm all for improving the quality of life for people, be that through better pay or whatever. It cannot be done overnight though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Big J said:

I'm all for improving the quality of life for people, be that through better pay or whatever. It cannot be done overnight though.

The same can be said for the positives of Brexit to come into full effect. It could take decades to fully untangle ourselves from the EU considering nearly half the U.K. is trying to hamstring Brexit just to say I told you so. 

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

The same can be said for the positives of Brexit to come into full effect. It could take decades to fully untangle ourselves from the EU considering nearly half the U.K. is trying to hamstring Brexit just to say I told you so. 

I think that there is a general acceptance of it now, but also an increasing awareness that is was just a plainly bad idea. I imagine it's like losing a foot. It's gone, you can't do anything about it, you have to make the best of the situation, but you still yearn for the time when you had your foot and accept that life was better with it.

I do believe that a lot of the sentiment that fuelled the Brexit vote stemmed from a feeling of loss of identity in the UK. If you consider how the UK's standing on the world stage has diminished since WW2, how the manufacturing sector has diminished and how issues of poverty are becoming more and more relevant, the context for a leave vote as a form of protest is much more understandable. 

It's now over 6 years since the vote took place. 6 years to process, negotiate, instigate, capitalise and make a positive case for leaving. And after 6 years, if the vote were held again tomorrow, the remain vote would be far, far stronger than the leave vote was in 2016.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To use your analogy, it might be nice to yearn for that severed foot.

But that foot is not only decomposed it's gangrenous, reattaching it would do nothing but kill the patient.

Reading yesterday officials want to postpone eu laws bonfire until 2026, that's not exact Brexit done is it.

And if memory serves they refused to pretty much negotiate anything until we actually left.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

I think that there is a general acceptance of it now, but also an increasing awareness that is was just a plainly bad idea. I imagine it's like losing a foot. It's gone, you can't do anything about it, you have to make the best of the situation, but you still yearn for the time when you had your foot and accept that life was better with it.

I do believe that a lot of the sentiment that fuelled the Brexit vote stemmed from a feeling of loss of identity in the UK. If you consider how the UK's standing on the world stage has diminished since WW2, how the manufacturing sector has diminished and how issues of poverty are becoming more and more relevant, the context for a leave vote as a form of protest is much more understandable. 

It's now over 6 years since the vote took place. 6 years to process, negotiate, instigate, capitalise and make a positive case for leaving. And after 6 years, if the vote were held again tomorrow, the remain vote would be far, far stronger than the leave vote was in 2016.

Just now, Big J said:

It’s certainly not the conversations I have had with people from different walks of life. 

When the aftermath of Covid and Ukraine has settled down there is simply no reason why the U.K. could not flourish like Norway or Switzerland. Certainly not if those who are desperate to thwart Brexit being a success and give it up to the betterment of the U.K. 

We are going to be paying the debts of Covid for a generation at least. We’re digging ourselves deeper and deeper in unsustainable debt due to the supposed Energy Crisis fuelled by a large part on the EU’s insistence on relying on Russia for their Energy supplies. The previous American Administration made it abundantly clear this was a significantly bad idea, abd how these fools laughed at the time. Well they’re not laughing now are they? Yet someone those that despise Brexit still place the position we’re in firmly at its foot. 🤷‍♂️ You can’t fix stupid.

I also find it amusing when the U.K’s response to purchasing and delivering Covid Vaccines was significantly faster than the dithering behemoth that is the EU. Countless lives where lost to this needless bureaucracy. Had it been the other way around the Remoaners would have been screeching from the rooftops about it. All we got was a murmured grumble that actually yes, being out of the EU saved British lives in this instance. 

The Remoaners will constantly ask for the benefits of Brexit and when presented with them will stare off vacantly into distance then after a while ask, why can’t anyone provide me a list of benefits for leaving the EU? Its a simple question. 🤷‍♂️