Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

12 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

BTW Aberdeenshire will benefit from longer summer daylight but considerable worse outside temperature. Often when people find heat pumps expensive it is because of poor installation. A heat pump benefits from being able to utilise very low (~30C)  flow temperature. Underfloor heating is ideal. Where radiators are used often there is not enough heat exchange surface, so return flow is not cold enough and hence the heat pump has to boost to a higher temperature, reducing COP ( the amount of heat you get out per kWh put in). Ideal for new build but tricky for retrofit.

New build property and incorporated from day one. The facts and figures you posted are very interesting. If I had a spare chunk of cash I’d more than likely try to go that route myself and or a small wind turbine

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

If he is spending £15,000 to save nearly two thousand per year that sounds like a decent investment.  I would do that if I could.  Actually, I would look at the possibility of doing some work myself to reduce cost.  But when you think many people spend £15,000 on a car which is a terrible investment you could argue.

He’s an agricultural building fabricator and erector by trade and I think that price is with him doing much for the work himself, he’s lucky in-as much as he’s on the family farm so can set up the panel array away from house and at the optimal bearing. As I’ve just stated if money  was no concern I’d probably be heading that route. I’m currently paying average £150 a month plus oil for the heating (rural so no gas )whereas he was on £400 but that covered everything. Luckily the wood burning stove is the primary source of heat for us 90% of the time and that’s fed exclusively with waste from milling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

He’s an agricultural building fabricator and erector by trade and I think that price is with him doing much for the work himself, he’s lucky in-as much as he’s on the family farm so can set up the panel array away from house and at the optimal bearing. As I’ve just stated if money  was no concern I’d probably be heading that route. I’m currently paying average £150 a month plus oil for the heating (rural so no gas )whereas he was on £400 but that covered everything. Luckily the wood burning stove is the primary source of heat for us 90% of the time and that’s fed exclusively with waste from milling. 

If he's got the space, did he not make a clanger by not putting in a ground source heat pump, thought they were always cheaper to run? And also solar and cables whilst the place was getting built?

29 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

He’s an agricultural building fabricator and erector by trade and I think that price is with him doing much for the work himself,

Do you know how the prices add up?

With ground mount there is no scaffold cost and that adds £1500 down here. Even a top grade inverter is no more than £2500 for 5kW and a cheap chinese hybrid much less. My panels were around £500/kW and if you can use a qualified electrician for the connection but to get the export money you need an MCS certified installer in order to get the certificate the electric company will require.

56 minutes ago, scbk said:

If he's got the space, did he not make a clanger by not putting in a ground source heat pump, thought they were always cheaper to run? And also solar and cables whilst the place was getting built?

🤷‍♂️I guess at the time he thought not. 

39 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Do you know how the prices add up?

With ground mount there is no scaffold cost and that adds £1500 down here. Even a top grade inverter is no more than £2500 for 5kW and a cheap chinese hybrid much less. My panels were around £500/kW and if you can use a qualified electrician for the connection but to get the export money you need an MCS certified installer in order to get the certificate the electric company will require.

No it was just a chat we were having whilst I was up collecting some brackets he’d knocked up,  it’s not a small property by any standards but the cost and break even forecast were all he mentioned.