Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

8 hours ago, Youngstu said:

Just in case you missed them in your urgency to tell me I was talking drivel again, I'll post the same questions again:

Just out of curiosity... Why a "beige utopia"?  it just seems a strange turn of phrase. 

What is the society that you " yearn for" 

Just to go back a bit, I thought an interesting point was raised about how advertisers and TV generally shape (or certainly try to) our perception of what is normal or acceptable.

Someone made a joke about mixed race couples being the ‘go to’ demographic for advertisers, and now it’s same sex couples, I even saw an ad for an internet provider with a mixed race/same sex couple which ticked nearly all the boxes.

I sit and watch these, feeling slightly bewildered at who makes the decisions to take this direction and if they do it because it really brings in more clients or for other reasons.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Johnsond said:

This is exactly the same scenario  as last time I got into some semblance of a debate with yourself. You ask question after question after question and want explanation after explanation etc etc. Like I say PC drivel of the highest order. There are far more imports things to worry about. Andy is right the worst thing is to react in the first place. I’ll do a bit of research and try and find an emoji or something to represent chronic PC,Woke,Beige sickness ??

So the general scenario again is: 

1.Someone makes a statement or shares another post that displays views that I (or someone else who can be arsed to bother) would consider to be intolerant/outdated/offensive etc. 

2. I (or someone else who can be arsed) challenge that statement/opinion etc in a polite way, often putting forward the ideas of tolerance or fairness and consideration for others in society

3. You respond with a variety of belittling statements, invariably including the word drivel and accusing whoever it is that responded with being PC, Woke, Marxist, stupid, ignorant, mentally deranged etc

4. The person who bothered to respond tries to get you to explain your position or views on the subject, as it is quite clear that they don't agree, (asking questions is a good way to get someone to clarify their position).

5. Repeat of point 3.

The only assumption that I can make from this scenario repeating itself (and not just you!) is that you are aware that if you were to fully clarify your feelings and give a clear explanation of your views on the matter that they would be considered to be offensive and know that you shouldn't share them on a public forum such as this. I may be completely wrong on this but this is the impression that you give by the responses that you make (or don't make).

I come on Arbtalk because I work in woodland, carrying out a variety of tree related jobs and value the resource that is available here from people with a massive amount of experience, in the field that I work in who offer some brilliant advice and opinions in loads of different areas.

Unfortunately (in my opinion) there are some on here who seem to think it's a good place to spout off (what are considered by many ) offensive opinions unchallenged and then shout down the challenger in the manner of a playground bully. Unfortunately I am of a generation who has seen offensive opinions in our parents and grandparents just being the accepted way that things are and know that challenging those viewpoints is necessary for things to change in the wider society.  Just because many of us live in rural locations with little or no diversity, that doesn't mean it's representative of society as a whole and maybe those who live in such places need to accept how it is for others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Just to go back a bit, I thought an interesting point was raised about how advertisers and TV generally shape (or certainly try to) our perception of what is normal or acceptable.

Someone made a joke about mixed race couples being the ‘go to’ demographic for advertisers, and now it’s same sex couples, I even saw an ad for an internet provider with a mixed race/same sex couple which ticked nearly all the boxes.

I sit and watch these, feeling slightly bewildered at who makes the decisions to take this direction and if they do it because it really brings in more clients or for other reasons.

I fully agree, every group does seem to be ticked in cases like this to the point of it being ridiculous.

However part of me feels that this is also is being done because of how things have been for so long where the vast majority of people in any positive position have been white, male and straight. With anyone who doesn't fit those criteria being sidelined to minor roles, or in many cases joke figures (or worse). You don't have to go back very long to find this across the tv and simply changing the current "quotas" to the current national statistics wouldn't solve the problems. 

28 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

1.Someone makes a statement or shares another post that displays views that I (or someone else who can be arsed to bother) would consider to be intolerant/outdated/offensive etc. 

2. I (or someone else who can be arsed) challenge that statement/opinion etc in a polite way, often putting forward the ideas of tolerance or fairness and consideration for others in society

3. You respond with a variety of belittling statements, invariably including the word drivel and accusing whoever it is that responded with being PC, Woke, Marxist, stupid, ignorant, mentally deranged etc

4. The person who bothered to respond tries to get you to explain your position or views on the subject, as it is quite clear that they don't agree, (asking questions is a good way to get someone to clarify their position).

5. Repeat of point 3.

The only assumption that I can make from this scenario repeating itself (and not just you!) is that you are aware that if you were to fully clarify your feelings and give a clear explanation of your views on the matter that they would be considered to be offensive and know that you shouldn't share them on a public forum such as this. I may be completely wrong on this but this is the impression that you give by the responses that you make (or don't make).

I come on Arbtalk because I work in woodland, carrying out a variety of tree related jobs and value the resource that is available here from people with a massive amount of experience, in the field that I work in who offer some brilliant advice and opinions in loads of different areas.

Unfortunately (in my opinion) there are some on here who seem to think it's a good place to spout off (what are considered by many ) offensive opinions unchallenged and then shout down the challenger in the manner of a playground bully. Unfortunately I am of a generation who has seen offensive opinions in our parents and grandparents just being the accepted way that things are and know that challenging those viewpoints is necessary for things to change in the wider society.  Just because many of us live in rural locations with little or no diversity, that doesn't mean it's representative of society as a whole and maybe those who live in such places need to accept how it is for others.

I think you might have been a tad unfair on JD there. 

Happy to be corrected, but I think it was me, rather that JD, that used the term drivel. 

Whilst I used the term to describe your offerings - you REALLY are now taking it to extremes of drbbling  drivel. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Clearly it doesnt Dempsey, cos the only thing that makes me watch somethin on the telly, is if they are in black and white with a tin hat on...... K

Edited by Khriss
( obvs i rarely watch TV)

28 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Happy to be corrected, but I think it was me, rather that JD, that used the term drivel. 

Whilst I used the term to describe your offerings - you REALLY are now taking it to extremes of drbbling  drivel. 

I don't think I've been unfair at all. He's had every opportunity to say what he thinks as opposed to just making derogatory statements about my thoughts. 

He likes that word too!

Point proven!

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

To be fair Kev, he botbers to spell correctly.  Plus there are a few people  on here with quite  a lot of spare time on their hands. Also, some who delight on being contentious, hence my handbag notifications, a few are just foaming at the mouth swivel eyed loons with an axe to grind, if their medication for their back pain has worn off -  i would just ban those fr a bit.  Happily,  Arb n For seem to be taking off economically a bit more now so we may see fewer posts like this.  K

• Like 1

...... But since we are still running this topic. Two things. 

One :    Decided ti have a nice pastie from my local ( very busy) petrol station in Town. Walki in - in my mask, see bloke from huge (  200 trades plus site) building site next to garage  - No Mask..... Wandering around picking stuff up.  I go to till, hands full.  He infront of me -  Hi Vis jacket shows Site name and " Covid 19 Marshal" on back....... (  my hands were full so no phone pic,  plus my brain had flipped inside out with the irony) 

Two :      Gf has massage therapist round to do her knees n neck. Her husband recently retired as Hedge Fund manager in Town. She relates story of how husbands mate immediately on lockdown set up three Ltd company's an grabbed £50,000 per company from. GOV   Assitance loan........  Now, hands up who thinks he will pay that money back.... Or just file bankruptcy ? Hmmmm  ?   

At this rate we are properly f... ked. End of... K

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Youngstu said:

5. Repeat of point 3.

You’d have been better off spending the time you spent writing this first thing this morning on doing something productive like giving the mrs some half term morning attention. You are trying to be as PC as it’s possible to be. I’m no bully  it’s just the long long dialogues you spout are excruciating. 
You are so so wrong in many regards. On a day to day basis I work with a multitude of nationalities, I’ve worked in the Middle and Far East, Africa and throughout Europe etc. There are good and bad everywhere I can assure you. I’m not racist in any way shape or form,  What does my head in is blatant ott  Political correctness to the point of stupidity. 
The dig at people being on here whom have an income source other than tree work etc has been tried before. I’m happy to say I don’t do tree work, I mill and take a great deal of satisfaction from making sure good timber is used rather than burnt or left to rot. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Youngstu said:

I don't think I've been unfair at all. He's had every opportunity to say what he thinks as opposed to just making derogatory statements about my thoughts. 

He likes that word too!

Point proven!

I simply don't have the time or inclination to commence the length of reply required to engage you on the subject. Possibly in fact probably I’m guilty of a degree of utter contempt for the blatant Political correctness you promote. 

• Like 2