Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

so you seem to be saying the cash on the street she gets given is all being spent on injections - the gifts from passers by are making her worse. If she had no cash she couldn't buy drugs, but could at least still go to food banks.
Top tip for new year - never ever give cash to homeless - only hot drinks and tinned food and corrugated iron and second hand sleeping bags - dont give them brand new sleeping bags or theyll sell them for cash to buy drugs. Best thing would be cart them off the street into a special facility where they perform neurosurgery to remove the part of the brain that creates pleasure from opiates

To me your first summarisation seemed to be a mostly accurate representation of Timon’s thoughts (not sure Timon mentioned food banks though?) but your second comment, in my opinion, went far further than Timon had by making hyperbolic suggestions of how that may play itself out. He was only sharing his considered thoughts. What are your ideas?

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

Re

Really? Please explain.

If you see a homeless girl is it wrong to give them some cash, in the hope it may help them in the short term?

Describing such people as " feeling self-satisfied" is unfair. I want to help if I can, what options do I have, other than giving them some cash or buying them some food?

Are those who simply walk by pretending not to see them somehow better people?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

If that girl is using it to buy heroin, then yes it’s wrong.

As for what options you have, giving to homeless charities or the like   seems to be a better way of helping.

I'm not saying its right, I'm saying judging people motives in such a way is out of order, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

If that girl is using it to buy heroin, then yes it’s wrong.

As for what options you have, giving to homeless charities or the like   seems to be a better way of helping.

If she wasn't getting that money begging she'd get it another way, either theft or heaven forbid prostitution.

As for giving money to some charities, not while the CEO's are on massive wages, bonuses and pensions.

• Like 4