Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Dave, I have tonight rapped my hand in with it - resigned. 

I share this with you first, not because I think you’d be particularly interested, but  because your comment did strike a cord. 

I can only talk in relation to this PC (although my enduring experience of any PC that I’ve engaged with professionally in an Arb sense had already convinced me that they are not worth the effort) but I guess it shouldn’t have come as any surprise!  I just wanted to see / experience it from ‘the  inside.’

Doing this PC shite (and I gave it 14 months) has detracted from my work, deprived me of family time and caused me (and the family) considerable stress. 

I have a notably low tolerance for incompetence and an inability to hide it. That I have maintained this role for so long has genuinely amazed most of my nearest and dearest (and I’m sure quitting will have genuinely delighted many within the PC.)

Wife & nipper came to tonight’s meeting, she’s not the kind of girl you could say no to anyway. I didn’t plan to quit, quite the contrary, but it just kind of happened that way. 

My parting shot - if you think I’ve been critical previously, you’ll enjoy what follows now that I’m NOT subject to the code of conduct. 

[emoji505]- talk to you over W/E

Must be like a microcosm of Brexit happening in your house then, Mr J.
Just make sure it’s a clean break eh!? [emoji6][emoji51]

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I guess it depends how you choose to define apartheid.  That article doesn't really go into it. 

Israel certainly has racist laws, but it doesn't (I believe) define who can hold public office or vote by race, as was the case in South Africa or Rhodesia.   

• Like 2

If you want to see real apartheid look no further than any of the Arab neighbours of Israel. (Apartheid of Jews, Christians, Yazidis, Kurds, Armenians, LBGT etc..). How people can miss the glaring human rights abuses, corruption, and general wickedness of these nations and single out Israel never fails to amaze me. Talk about tunnel vision. [emoji849][emoji36]?
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, TIMON said:

If you want to see real apartheid look no further than any of the Arab neighbours of Israel. (Apartheid of Jews, Christians, Yazidis, Kurds, Armenians, LBGT etc..). How people can miss the glaring human rights abuses, corruption, and general wickedness of these nations and single out Israel never fails to amaze me. Talk about tunnel vision. emoji849.pngemoji36.png?

I don't think any of states neighbouring Israel have apartheid either really. By that I mean, the groups you identify are not excluded from running/voting in elections.  All those countries are authoritarian to some extent, but where there is democracy, it is not restricted to members of a specific race.  In all these states, the ruling class belongs to the majority race, so there is no need to exclude other groups from elections: they can simply be ignored.  Obviously this wasn't the case in S Africa, where the ruling minority needed apartheid to maintain control.  

Lebanon is an interesting case: it does put religious constraints on the important offices of state, eg. President has to be a Christian, PM has to be Sunni.

You are right about the tunnel vision.  Most people, if they care at all, will find their sympathies lying either with the Arabs or with the Israelis.  If they're unable to see beyond these sympathies, the situation becomes black and white.

• Like 4

On 29/07/2018 at 16:07, onetruth said:

I guess it depends how you choose to define apartheid.  That article doesn't really go into it. 

Israel certainly has racist laws, but it doesn't (I believe) define who can hold public office or vote by race, as was the case in South Africa or Rhodesia.   

I was taking the question from the article.  There's no doubt that the Israeli state are racist, I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were.

Well, see, from an N Irish perspective, if SF/IRA support Hamas, and they undoubtedly do, we got to support Israel, and I do.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

But sometimes a friend is just a friend, regardless of common enemies.

But I do support the need for a safe space for those of the Jewish faith, whilst still having sympathy for the origional displaced Palastinians.

However Israel has made a better fist of running a country, in the most difficult of circumstances, than most/all of their fractious Arab neighbours.

And having grown up during the often miss-reported NI Troubles, and all too often our own BBC were the most, mostly subtly, Nationalist biased.

I learned not to trust media reports.

since SF/IRA definately took an early lead and won their relentless drip, drip, drip propaganda War with the British Establishment.

Marcus

• Like 2