Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

So, Grenfell Tower residents are being housed by the council in hotels etc, yet its some how outrageous that they have still had their rent payment taken.

Am I missing something?

I rent, if my home burnt down and my landlord rehoused me while they made repairs, would I expect to pay no rent? NO!

:confused1:

So you vote for a local MP and a PM, which vote would trump the other?

And if the local MP you vote for is in a different party to the PM you vote for how does that work?:001_huh:

Do you really think a great number of people would vote for a conservative prime minister then a labour or lib dem MP ?

Most would vote for same party for local and national representation.

Perhaps a few might take personal preference at local level into the ballot box but that would be at a miniscual level nationally and after all thats democracy isnt it

Do you really think a great number of people would vote for a conservative prime minister then a labour or lib dem MP ?

Most would vote for same party for local and national representation.

Perhaps a few might take personal preference at local level into the ballot box but that would be at a miniscual level nationally and after all thats democracy isnt it

SO WHATS THE POINT OF CHANGING THINGS THEN!!!!

Oh dear :cursing::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The point of changing things is its a better democratic system in electing a prime minister because we would be voting for a prime minister and local representative seperatly.

:alberteinstein:

My word :001_huh:

But you have just acknowledged that the vast majority would vote for the same party for both appointments and that not doing so would be unworkable :001_huh:

You know who the current leader of each party is, so you do actually know who is going to be PM, depending on which party wins.

This is politics, not Big brother or the X factor :001_rolleyes:

My word :001_huh:

But you have just acknowledged that the vast majority would vote for the same party for both appointments and that not doing so would be unworkable :001_huh:

You know who the current leader of each party is, so you do actually know who is going to be PM, depending on which party wins.

This is politics, not Big brother or the X factor :001_rolleyes:

You do realise Theresa May was an unelected prime minister before the recent election dont you..

So it is again possible that a prime minister is running our nation without being elected.

It is also possible with our antiquated system that a prime minister is elected that did not receive the largest share of the vote.

Do you think the above scenarios are a true depiction of democracy??

You do realise Theresa May was an unelected prime minister before the recent election dont you..

ALL prime minister are unelected, which is as it should be IMO.

So it is again possible that a prime minister is running our nation without being elected.

The PM does not run the country, they lead the party that runs the country

It is also possible with our antiquated system that a prime minister is elected that did not receive the largest share of the vote.

This is nonsense, the conservatives actually got a similar percentage of the vote to Tony Blair did when he got his "landslide" and more than Cameron got last time when he won.

Do you think the above scenarios are a true depiction of democracy??

Please give me a single example of when the opposition got more votes than the wining party, I don't believe it can happen.

Please give me a single example of when the opposition got more votes than the wining party, I don't believe it can happen.

There have been several instances of poliical parties being elected in receiving less than the opposition because of the 1st past the post system.

The most recent was 1951 when the tories lead by Winston Churchill were elected ahead of the labour party under clement attlee when the number of votes cast favoured labour by

230 000.

There have been several instances of poliical parties being elected in receiving less than the opposition because of the 1st past the post system.

The most recent was 1951 when the tories lead by Winston Churchill were elected ahead of the labour party under clement attlee when the number of votes cast favoured labour by

230 000.

WOW!! 1951!!! thats terrible!!! We clearly have a huge problem!! best get things changed real fast!!!

:lol::laugh1::lol::biggrin: