Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I understood the ward boundaries were over-due a re-jig, to more fairly approportion the votes cast against the representitives/MP's elected.

Which re-jig, by a neutral body, which would have the effect of benifiting the Conservatives, but this was scuppered by the deal with the DUP who in NI would have lost their majority of MP's elected to SF's gain.

Me neither mate,but its time our voting system was overhauled imho.

Problem is,a government who polls less than the opposition isnt going to demolish the voting system that got them elected are they.

:confused1: Has that ever even happened?:confused1:

Edited by skyhuck

I'm with you all the way.

But that isn't how it works.......

Maybe time for change, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Seems to me that the opposition (at any particular time) seem to think that proportional representation is a great idea, until they're no longer the opposition.

My suggestion is to put the leaders of each party into the Big Brother house ( or similar ) for a month with cameras on them for 24/7 for a month. The public could vote for challenges and particular participants for those challenges, just so we could really get to know their characters:biggrin:

Last man standing to run the country:lol:

Seems to me that the opposition (at any particular time) seem to think that proportional representation is a great idea, until they're no longer the opposition.

My suggestion is to put the leaders of each party into the Big Brother house ( or similar ) for a month with cameras on them for 24/7 for a month. The public could vote for challenges and particular participants for those challenges, just so we could really get to know their characters:biggrin:

Last man standing to run the country:lol:

This is an idiotic idea.

Everyone knows there should be a fight on the village green to sort out who's boss.

Do we..?

Surley a fairer system would be to vote for the potential prime minister.

For example if we had a vote to go to the polls today and the ballot paper had May or Corbyn on it who would win?

This would be my idea of a fairer system as its not involving your local MP its about who you want as your prime minister.

I didnt vote in the election as my 3 local candidates-labour tory and snp didnt appeal to me,if my ballot paper said may or corbyn id have voted corbyn,not because im a marxist leftie like some on here think we are just simply because he would be,in my opinion,a better prime minister.

2011 UK AV referendum: 70/30 in favour of first past the post.

Fairly conclusive.

2011 UK AV referendum: 70/30 in favour of first past the post.

Fairly conclusive.

Totally diffrent voting system in that referendum as it was the AV (alternative vote) system that still relied on votes counted on the local prospective MP's in list of preference.

My thoughts are to vote for a Prime minister NOT a MP.

Totally diffrent voting system in that referendum as it was the AV (alternative vote) system that still relied on votes counted on the local prospective MP's in list of preference.

My thoughts are to vote for a Prime minister NOT a MP.

So you want a President.

Our head of state is the queen, which is great as it means we don't need a president.

The PM is just the leader of the winning party and can change with no need for a general election.

What would be the point of a leader with no party behind them to get bills passed?

What a ridiculous idea, we would end up like the USA :lol: