RW and Zigzag

Unlike NPTC,  ABA have always included single rope techniques in their training program, if you would like to obtain the only nationally recognised ( and internationally accredited)  certification including SRT tree work techniques available in the UK then this is the course for you. Drawing on the experience of some of the best and most experienced SRT climbers out there, this course will give you the skill set to up your game plan and become the best arborist you know you can be.

Places on courses throughout the Lake District, Northern and Western Cumbria in Jan, Feb & March 2018.

If you want any more info please email [email protected] for all enquiries, and expect a quick, professional helpful reply.

For more detail on ABA please visit http://aba-skills.com/index.php

On 27/11/2017 at 20:59, ABA Northern division said:

Unlike NPTC,  ABA have always included single rope techniques in their training program, if you would like to obtain the only nationally recognised ( and internationally accredited)  certification including SRT tree work techniques available in the UK then this is the course for you. Drawing on the experience of some of the best and most experienced SRT climbers out there, this course will give you the skill set to up your game plan and become the best arborist you know you can be.

Places on courses throughout the Lake District, Northern and Western Cumbria in Jan, Feb & March 2018.

If you want any more info please email [email protected] for all enquiries, and expect a quick, professional helpful reply.

For more detail on ABA please visit http://aba-skills.com/index.php

Be interested to hear what the course content/syllabus is...

On 11/19/2017 at 22:26, Mark Bolam said:

Here's mine mate.

Still chop and change to Ddrt when the situation demands.

Really important to set the RW in neutral for smooth ascents.

1.  Did you combo this up with a pantin + some sort of knee ascender (Haas) + chest attachment? 

2.  How do you (if at all) switch over to DRT once you have reached/set up your top anchor?

I want to use my current kit (zigzag + pantin) and add the necessary bits (Haas, RW, tether) to allow SRT access (+ any significant re-ascents) then climb DRT in the canopy.

1. Yes. CT foot ascender, HAAS (clipped on to 4SRT footloop), chester

2. Undo shackle, take off RW and clip in spare oval biner

It's a bit of a faff, but doesn't take long. Most of the time these days I'll work SRT, but sometimes Ddrt just suits me better so I'll switch.

It is worth remembering that the foot ascender/HAAS works fine Ddrt, it's just half the speed!

It's a bit of a faff, but doesn't take long. Most of the time these days I'll work SRT, but sometimes Ddrt just suits me better so I'll switch.

It is worth remembering that the foot ascender/HAAS works fine Ddrt, it's just half the speed!

Perfect, that all makes sense.

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2017 at 13:46, Mark Bolam said:

Hi. I'm just catching up here!!!. Cant you just clip your line to the shackle for Ddrt?? 

I've been doing corsican pines all week (snow damage) and SRT was the only way. Im using a bow shackle that I think must have come from an old butterfly harness bridge, the the tether is on the bow rather than the bolts,so theres is some sitback, but you can let it drop to oneside and clip to the shackle for Ddrt.  Works ok, but I'm only just getting convinced with SRT so i need to read uop a bit and perfect my set up. 

I have a split tether but am using the simarghu one at the moment. A bigger bow shackle might fit the tether in aswell on the bolt giving less sit back and still the bow free for Ddrt. 

• Like 1

You wouldn't recommend it with your shackle? Or with my shackle? Its fully rated as it was a harness bridge attachement. One issue is keeping the biner aligned but I'll figure that out. 

Whilst I'm new the ability to switch to Ddrt is important. My  other thought is just to take a Ddrt line with me like we all used to when footlocking up a separate line. 

I did a few of the corsicans last week fully on SRT though, up, work and down again with good results. Just need to polish my act regarding retrieving lines etc. I much prefer top tied to base tie off.