Husqvarna 365 special died!

FJMatt

This is true but ......As we have both said what caused it .....You were using the same mix in your 254 unless it has been run with the wrong mix prior to you receiving it ...

I was assuming the ring was a bit stuck before he got it and then further pick up of ally in the bore finished the job.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a tiny amount of fuel in tank, I filled it to about half, fired it up, ran it about 10 min, thought it sounded as though it was running out of petrol

Topped it up but it wasn't empty

Run for another 5min

Compression was good when first started , maybe to good

Cylinder is a mahle, so I think it will be original

But when stripped it, it was very clean round about it no dust, oil???

After that ran 254 on same petrol,same wood and a 2" bigger bar rest of day

For the cost of posting it back, I could easily replace piston /ring

But what else would need to be replaced/tested, to try and stop it happening again

It will never be as good as new as the piston is damaged and the bore will be too. The bore is very hard and will still seal but you have to scrupulously remove all aluminium pick up from the bore, I use repeated applications of gel oven cleaner until no white reisdue is left. Then emery the rough bits off the piston and scrape the ring lads so the new ring will seal top and bottom.

You shouldn't have to do this unless you can negotiate a refund but for the price of a ring and a bit of work at least you can see if the rest of it works before deciding on a new piston.

Next time whip the exhaust off before you start the saw and look at the ring.

But what else would need to be replaced/tested, to try and stop it happening again

If you bought it as a runner, why should you accept a seized saw? It sounds to me as though it could be an air leak if it was beginning to sound lean with fuel still in the tank.

Pressure and Vacuum check to ensure all rubber parts and jointing faces are sealing fully, fuel line and filter, carb diaphragms/metering arm/gauze filter, finally a tach tune to make sure the saw is revving correctly.

As I also mentioned - the main bearings may have a fair bit of aluminium in them so may be damaged or need flushing out.

There was a tiny amount of fuel in tank, I filled it to about half, fired it up, ran it about 10 min, thought it sounded as though it was running out of petrol

Topped it up but it wasn't empty

Run for another 5min

Compression was good when first started , maybe to good

Cylinder is a mahle, so I think it will be original

But when stripped it, it was very clean round about it no dust, oil???

After that ran 254 on same petrol,same wood and a 2" bigger bar rest of day

If it " sounded as though it was running out of fuel " then my shout would be an air leak . Too much air = over rev = too much heat = lean nip up . Fix the air leak before you run it again .

From the damage, it looks like it has been seizing over e period of time and then failed really badly. There is a lot of aluminium sludge around that bottom end and that usually means that the ring has stayed mobile in the groove and the aluminium transfer has been abraded off the bore.

A big mess and unusual to have scoring on the inlet side as well.