NPTC Refresher Certificates

Backpain

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be excellent in this position Mr Git. As an Arboricultural Inspector Gadget you are familiar with all the shiny bells and whistles as well as the more traditional items such as Flask choice and size of Bait box.

Ow yes, same back at you. you'd love my new flask

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/productID.324177700

I digress, people need to have properly worked in the industry or are still working in it to be really able to do these updates else it's just teaching grandma to suck eggs.

More suitable for occasional uses or people who have had a brake from the industry

1468446720075.jpg.767c6201e34bcf9f23f2b24a1a0d36e9.jpg

There is an NPTC. Refresher cert coming our way shortly so the news on the grape vine goes.

I have been doing updates or refreshers, depending on how you call them. We have combined them into a working site usually and discuss as we go along, my opinion doing this is you get to see the real deal with folk on site rather than watch folk just go through the motions.

If any body requires help with refresher issues please feel free to PM me for info and costs.

Excuse my ignorance but do we all in the arb industry have to do these refresher courses? I as a sub contractor and with running my own show (where I am climbing every day) feel it is unpractical and unfair to make people do refresher courses.

With first aid it is different as things in medical terms change on a regular basis so I have no problem with updating my first aid. However with climbing or use of chainsaws the principals stay the same and if you are doing this all day everyday you should be pretty bloody competent.

Maybe if you could pay a small fee to have an assessor come out and watch you work for say half a day I would be more inclined to say fair enough but to have to go through everything again at the cost of a day's work every time is unrealistic.

Surly everyone out there who is doing their job is fit and able (with exceptions to a few). It's not like you turn up to a job and go 'ahh sod it I'm just going to back cut this tree and pray it doesn't land on the house' because our insurance would go through the roof (no pun intended).

So if anyone can shed light on whether this is a necessity to do these refreshers or not? I'd be grateful.

Sorry for the rant but I'm sure a lot of you guys out there feel the same

Excuse my ignorance but do we all in the arb industry have to do these refresher courses?

So if anyone can shed light on whether this is a necessity to do these refreshers or not? I'd be grateful.

The simple answer is YES, in order to accord with 'industry best practice', in effect. Many people I speak to who undertake accident investigations highlight the fact the HSE/courts are always more interested in refresher training events that the specific chainsaw etc. qualifications involved...maybe that's because they don't understand them. AFAG, sorry FISA 805 sets out the relative guidance, as does indg317 (HSE - Chainsaws at Work), and stipulates every 5 years for a professional user. Your insurance company may also have a view on the matter.

So, whilst there are a full suite of 'refresher' training courses available, which can be beneficial and clearly then "tick the box", this can be achieved by other means as you describe, i.e. an NPTC / Lantra assessor joining you on site BUT you do need some documentary evidence for this.

Hope this helps clarify the situation and, TBH, "once every 5 years"...is it that unreasonable really? (easy for me to say I know but..) :001_huh:

Cheers..

Paul

Excuse my ignorance but do we all in the arb industry have to do these refresher courses? I as a sub contractor and with running my own show (where I am climbing every day) feel it is unpractical and unfair to make people do refresher courses.

With first aid it is different as things in medical terms change on a regular basis so I have no problem with updating my first aid. However with climbing or use of chainsaws the principals stay the same and if you are doing this all day everyday you should be pretty bloody competent.

Maybe if you could pay a small fee to have an assessor come out and watch you work for say half a day I would be more inclined to say fair enough but to have to go through everything again at the cost of a day's work every time is unrealistic.

Surly everyone out there who is doing their job is fit and able (with exceptions to a few). It's not like you turn up to a job and go 'ahh sod it I'm just going to back cut this tree and pray it doesn't land on the house' because our insurance would go through the roof (no pun intended).

There is an NPTC. Refresher cert coming our way shortly so the news on the grape vine goes.

I have been doing updates or refreshers, depending on how you call them. We have combined them into a working site usually and discuss as we go along, my opinion doing this is you get to see the real deal with folk on site rather than watch folk just go through the motions.

If any body requires help with refresher issues please feel free to PM me for info and costs.

The simple answer is YES, in order to accord with 'industry best practice', in effect. Many people I speak to who undertake accident investigations highlight the fact the HSE/courts are always more interested in refresher training events that the specific chainsaw etc. qualifications involved...maybe that's because they don't understand them. AFAG, sorry FISA 805 sets out the relative guidance, as does indg317 (HSE - Chainsaws at Work), and stipulates every 5 years for a professional user. Your insurance company may also have a view on the matter.

So, whilst there are a full suite of 'refresher' training courses available, which can be beneficial and clearly then "tick the box", this can be achieved by other means as you describe, i.e. an NPTC / Lantra assessor joining you on site BUT you do need some documentary evidence for this.

Hope this helps clarify the situation and, TBH, "once every 5 years"...is it that unreasonable really? (easy for me to say I know but..) :001_huh:

Cheers..

Paul

Cheers Paul, I guess every 5 years is not that bad and if an assessor can come to you that certainly makes life easier. I just wanted to clarify that more than anything else, want to keep on the right side of HSE.

Brilliant thanks. I may well be giving you a shout in the next few months.

Didn't want to come across as arrogant and I do understand the need for keeping up to date. It just sometimes bugs me when I realise there is anther expense I have to fork out for.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it :-)

Sounds interesting (as long as it is deemed acceptable by the clients!).