What to do with this tree?

jfc

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple fact is whatever you do apart from felling is going to be crap,reduce it or top it get paid and go home.

Its what the client wants,get paid or someone else will.

All you can do is advise ,if the client wants it reduced then do so

Reducing it is effectively topping it on such a species, you could wind firm it-there was an article somewhere about doing this I am unsure how to do it as I've never reduced a conifer before... Just topped them.

Question is why do you think it will fall over? What is the union like is it a natural Union or previous topping/reducing point.

Trees don't just fall over and I doubt it 100ft or else it would be freaking huge!

If there is a genuine fear it will fall over and there is no tpo or conservation area then fell away.

If the client is adamant to get something done and there is no tpo/con then like others have said crack on and get paid, we are service providers after all.

Just be careful as it's unlikely anything you do will benefit the tree long term.

If I remember rightly wind firming is the removal of a proportion of the upper branches to reduce sail effect but not lowering the height.

It gets done on forestry trees on the outside of stands that are more vulnerable to heavy wind.

There was a video on here about it somewhere.

Simple fact is whatever you do apart from felling is going to be crap,reduce it or top it get paid and go home.

Its what the client wants,get paid or someone else will.

All you can do is advise ,if the client wants it reduced then do so

Here's a pic of the leaves. Single stem is the underside.

Red fir. Knock that top out before someone else does 👍.

Red fir. Knock that top out before someone else does 👍.

If someone else is going to knock the top out then I would agree with you.

But it seems he is making a concious effort to do the right thing and knocking the top out isn't.

Hi folks,

I have been asked to reduce this tree, as the owner is worried that if it did blow over it would hit a neighbours house. It is big about 100ft, I have struggled to identify it (as I can find any cones), ?Douglas Fir.

The owner has asked me to top it (which I'm not going to do)! The only other option I see would be to take off one of the co-dominant leaders, but would that cause almost as many problems as topping it?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers jfc.

This post has been running 4 or 5 days now....should have done the job by now:thumbup:

as the owner is worried that if it did blow over it would hit a neighbours house

:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Does the tree look to be in poor health? Are there any structural issues (cracks, bulges, wounds)? Are there any decay fungi present, or evidence of decay fungi? Do you look at the tree and think "****, that could fall!"? If no, why bloody fell it? Risk aversion bla bla bla...

Size doesn't equal risk. Look at the damn sequoias!

:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Does the tree look to be in poor health? Are there any structural issues (cracks, bulges, wounds)? Are there any decay fungi present, or evidence of decay fungi? Do you look at the tree and think "****, that could fall!"? If no, why bloody fell it? Risk aversion bla bla bla...

Size doesn't equal risk. Look at the damn sequoias!

Passionate post :thumbup:

Passionate post :thumbup:

From a personal standpoint, it needed to be said. It's tiring to hear the excuse of "oh what if it fell and killed someone?" as a reason to remove a tree that probably won't ever do that (speaking generally, and after a proper investigation). It's a lazy and redundant argument.

Do people drive cars? I believe they do. There's more risk of dying in one of them, by orders of magnitude. Why isn't the owner of that house selling up their cars and locking themselves in their house so they don't ever get put at risk of getting hit by a car when walking, after selling their car? Perspective, for crying out loud!

If someone doesn't like a tree, come out and admit it. Don't use the bullshit excuse of "but it could fall and kill someone!" without even investigating the tree's structure first, via employing someone that knows what they're looking at (that is no jab at anyone in this thread).

Perhaps it's just supreme ignorance of the real level of risk.

Edited by Kveldssanger