A new toy: Myford lathe

Big Beech

So, after much deliberation over the years and no man cave as such, I didn't really have room for one.

Some friends run a charity for kids, and the lathe was owned by a ladies husband who worked for them. He unfortunately developed dimentia and was unable to safely use it. It was moth balled and his wife gave up work at the charity to care for him. He's passed away, and soon after his wife was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour. She has recently passed too. The lathe was left to the charity to sell and proceeds back to them.

The lathe came back today from the charity for me to decide if I wanted it. It's a blue Myford Mystro 2 with a big box of tools and a part turned blank still attached.

Cost £300 but it's nice to give to the cause, so now looks like iam going to be wittling some wood !!

Will take some pictures of all the bits, and suggestions as to what I might need. What I may need is a friendly turner is West Sussex to get me started :001_smile:

Thanks Steve, very kind. Might well do if time allows.

Just fired the old girl up, runs sweet much quieter than I thought it would. Took all the tools and stocks off and gave everything a clean and put some grease on the bed as its. Bit rusty in places and knowing my shed gets a bit damp don't want it wasting away!

Put the bowl blank back on, poplar and had a wurl. Either that's poplar is god damn hard or the chisels are blunt but was hard going. Will wait until my father is off holiday to get them sharpened up.

Will post some pictures shortly

Thanks Steve, very kind. Might well do if time allows.

Just fired the old girl up, runs sweet much quieter than I thought it would. Took all the tools and stocks off and gave everything a clean and put some grease on the bed as its. Bit rusty in places and knowing my shed gets a bit damp don't want it wasting away!

Put the bowl blank back on, poplar and had a wurl. Either that's poplar is god damn hard or the chisels are blunt but was hard going. Will wait until my father is off holiday to get them sharpened up.

Will post some pictures shortly

poplar is soft stuff so either it's not poplar or you have blunt chisels.

using blunt tools can be a bit dangerous so sharpen everything first.

when do you think you may be able to visit?