Dropping a kerb near to trees

benedmonds

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Storm water management off of a 20 foot square garden is not exactly going to overpower the drains is it ?

Singularly no, but if all gardens in thd area do so because of Council policy the accumulative effect is significant. If the policy is then implemented elsewhere real problems are created.

Spot on - but its no just policy. SuDS forms part of the Flood and Water Management Act so its legislative. I'm no expert on this but there is a lot of noise coming out of LPAs about it.

the drop kerbs will need 2 angled and three drop slightly bigger than the marks on the photo but as others have said sit on the same bed as the existing and a neutral hard core to be used for fill so it dos not alter the PH of the ground

Its not just the kerbs. Its the rest of the excavations for the drive. You cant use no dig because of the level changes that would be created next to the road, you will never meet up with the road in terms of levels.

I don't see cellweb working in this situation. For a car the cellwebb need to be 100mm think and then a wearing course on top of this will need to be fitted. The RPA will extend right across the path and so in theory so should the cellweb - so a step in the footway and a big level change to the carriageway. Even if you end the cell web at the edge of the lawn you still have a level change issue which will require digging.

It is not ideal I agree. What other options are there?

The finding the root is easy - well sort off, just excavate a trial trench by ... I always explain this to the client - i.e. the investigation may well show this isn't possible.

My advice was not to do it, but the council are demanding the off street parking and that is holding up the planning for the rest of the development. I can't see the council being happy with a spec that says hand dig investigations may show drive installation is not possible.

It is not ideal I agree. What other options are there?

My advice was not to do it, but the council are demanding the off street parking and that is holding up the planning for the rest of the development. I can't see the council being happy with a spec that says hand dig investigations may show drive installation is not possible.

Fell the tree - probably not going to happen though. You could try one of these temporary parking surfaces but it will look pretty rubbish. You could speak to an engineer to see if it is possible to use a pre-cast concrete slab fitted on mini-piles and if that would have a lesser level change.

You wouldn't write the probably wont work in the AMS but you have to bring it to the attention of the client upfront. The spec would be hand digging avoiding the severance of structural roots and pruning smaller roots. Problem is if you find a large root that you cant work around.

I'm kind of struggling with what appears to be a contradiction here unless I'm reading it wrong?

The LPA are insisting on drop kerb / off street parking which could result in reduced existing natural drainage and increased run off into mains?

How can that be consistent with SuDS?

And it would appear that the barrier to doing what they want done is the tree which they'd be unlikely to approve for removal??

I am surprised that Highways want this to happen as the crossover is close to a junction and that sight lines are obscured by two great big trees. An accident waiting to happen. However if the council is adamant, then just do it.

I think everyone can over-think these issues and cost a lot of time and money in the process. Will the trees be affected . . probably yes. Will they be seriously affected . . probably not.

Porous materials can be used or drain to a shrub bed or lawn which will get past any SUDS requirements. One solution would be to create two pathways for the vehicle's wheels whilst leaving the central part of the drive untouched. any major root can be sleeved and retained. If no roots then incorporate a root barrier to prevent any future conflict.

Should the council remove on-street parking to allow everyone to drive around faster and therefore make the streets more dangerous . . . probably not.

As this is a council tree and it is the council that are insisting on the dropped kerb that would give me confidence to write an AMS that perhaps makes the best of a difficult situation and therefore the application should get through due to the background circumstances.

Some root loss is almost inevitable. If you found a decent sized root then it would need pruning. Will that lead to the demise of the tree, or to its instability? Probably not. I think all you can do is write an AMS that includes arb supervision of the hard surface removal, and any root pruning. Perhaps if a large root is pruned, recommend a subsequent crown reduction.