Clause in quote...

Starscream

I'm just compiling a quote to remove some lower branches from an oak tree. The branches are not big, but there will be a fair amount of brash. Normally not an issue, but it all has to go through the house; both neighbours either side do not have side access either!!!! I want to put in my quote something like this....

"Whilst removing waste through the house, the utmost care and diligence will be employed. In the unlikely event of any damage to walls and doors etc, we cannot accept any liability"

Do you think this is ok? It's not a massive job so it wouldn't be feasible to put a contingency sum on the quote and my insurance excess is more than the job but I don't want to get stung if there is a mark on a wall or something. We can cover the floors and the doors but not sure about the walls. My plan is to cut it into manageable pieces and wrap them in builders bags to carry through.

Any advice appreciated or another way of wording it would be great.

If it's a straight run through why not build a plywood channel, sheet on floor then 1 at either side and just drag stuff through, it's how we got a 65ft mature conifer through a terrace house in the past, no damage at all.

Ment to say that wording of the clause sounds fair.

If its not a massive amount of brash i wouldn't bother...but then again it depends on the client, some will pick fault and find marks no matter how small!

no pleasing some of em...good luck

Yeah I don't wanna take any chances! He seems like a nice guy and is only doing this because of it overhanging the neighbours.

If it's a straight run through why not build a plywood channel, sheet on floor then 1 at either side and just drag stuff through, it's how we got a 65ft mature conifer through a terrace house in the past, no damage at all.

Ment to say that wording of the clause sounds fair.

It's a left turn then a right turn, quite tight too. Great idea though.

Warn them there might be marks and ask them to protect the walls, saves them money as not paying you to sellotape cardboard. If you don't think it's possible to get through without causing damage is not possible to have a small burn up in the garden? Had to approach one job like that last year as was a maze of junk to get anything out

The exclusion clause might work or might not. Either way, you're probably going to damage something and they're definitely going to tell their friends if you do.

I would cut logs out right down down to 1" and burn what's left. Nice relaxed work with loppers.

Makes sense to include a clause but I wouldn't be that specific. Instead of "damage to walls and doors" I would put "damage to the fabric of the building, its fixtures and fittings"

A micro chipper or burn would be a better bet for all parties

Fwiw, we did jobs like that in London for my old boss years ago, he would bring dust sheets and we would wrap the brash in them to pass through the hall. The floor was covered on cardboard.

Make sure it's a dry day! The clause sounds ok, there's risk in everything.