When customers want to help!

Macca

"Devaluing the industry" classic nonsense.

Anyway, back to the thread, I've had both ends of the spectrum this week, two older guys trying to help us out on a cherry picker roadside job that I had to basically tell to go away, then a day later another retiree, who said he HAD to help, put on a helmet, responded to directions and gave the groundy a helping hand enabling us to finish before the rain set in.

One of my "lines" I use to get rid of a potentially dangerous helper is to say "I have a proud record of never having killed a single client......at least before I've received the cheque" cue awkward laughter and a retreating client, with no bruised pride.

I saw take each "helpful customer" as they come.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sensible. You were cutting down a tree and being paid for it, your name was on the job and you were doing it with assistance (all be it you didn't want that assistance). You must legally insure anyone that helps you. What would have happened if you dropped a chog and hit the home owner with it or the home owner tripped and fell over the brash pile he had moved?

Either ensure your work area is clear of people or carry the correct insurances. Tree work is great money without the overheads!!

With regards to aerial rescue see Working and tree climbing without any emergency procedures . He was 15ft up and fines £7.5k. You tell me when a tree becomes big enough to need a rescue climber and would you argue the same in a court?

If everyone played by the rules without exception then the whole industry would be looked at as a more professional trade, prices would go up and so would wages. Instead people are doing rough work, not following all the rules and undercutting professional outfits which ultimately brings down the prices for one and all. The man that does a £300 special on a Saturday and bangs the whole lot in his pocket thinks making money on trees is dead easy and the people running tree co's must be stacking up the cash. This customer tells all his friends and neighbours that the pro companies that also quoted the work are all out to rob you so stick to using the understaffed, uninsured companies and save a few quid!!

Yes it's a rant and I will probably get flamed for it but where do you draw the line??

Thanks for the information. I believe it is irrelevant to me at the present moment in time. I may pay it more attention if I go self employed.

My work is not rough it is the same as it is when working for professional companies which I do during the week.

The job just takes a bit longer as I drag my own brash.

Every tree surgeon I have ever known has done some form of tree work on their own whether it be paid or just pruning their parents trees! Sinners the lot of us.

"Devaluing the industry" classic nonsense.

Anyway, back to the thread, I've had both ends of the spectrum this week, two older guys trying to help us out on a cherry picker roadside job that I had to basically tell to go away, then a day later another retiree, who said he HAD to help, put on a helmet, responded to directions and gave the groundy a helping hand enabling us to finish before the rain set in.

One of my "lines" I use to get rid of a potentially dangerous helper is to say "I have a proud record of never having killed a single client......at least before I've received the cheque" cue awkward laughter and a retreating client, with no bruised pride.

I saw take each "helpful customer" as they come.

😂😂 best answer yet to my question and one which I shall be using! Thank you 👍🏻

Thanks for the information. I believe it is irrelevant to me at the present moment in time. I may pay it more attention if I go self employed.

My work is not rough it is the same as it is when working for professional companies which I do during the week.

The job just takes a bit longer as I drag my own brash.

Every tree surgeon I have ever known has done some form of tree work on their own whether it be paid or just pruning their parents trees! Sinners the lot of us.

I recon most of them were capable of dealing with their punters :001_rolleyes:

Just starting out doing weekend work by myself, not got to the stage of employing people yet. Any bigger jobs I will enlist the help of a groundie.

You are doing your own work therefore you are self employed!! You can be employed through the week and self employed on a weekend. I assume you are registered with HMRC

Lets hope your employment contract allows you to work for others whilst employed. I know my employment contracts state you cannot approach people to complete work the company is capable of completing without written permission of the director.

Be sensible. You were cutting down a tree and being paid for it, your name was on the job and you were doing it with assistance (all be it you didn't want that assistance). You must legally insure anyone that helps you. What would have happened if you dropped a chog and hit the home owner with it or the home owner tripped and fell over the brash pile he had moved?

Either ensure your work area is clear of people or carry the correct insurances. Tree work is great money without the overheads!!

With regards to aerial rescue see Working and tree climbing without any emergency procedures . He was 15ft up and fines £7.5k. You tell me when a tree becomes big enough to need a rescue climber and would you argue the same in a court?

If everyone played by the rules without exception then the whole industry would be looked at as a more professional trade, prices would go up and so would wages. Instead people are doing rough work, not following all the rules and undercutting professional outfits which ultimately brings down the prices for one and all. The man that does a £300 special on a Saturday and bangs the whole lot in his pocket thinks making money on trees is dead easy and the people running tree co's must be stacking up the cash. This customer tells all his friends and neighbours that the pro companies that also quoted the work are all out to rob you so stick to using the understaffed, uninsured companies and save a few quid!!

Yes it's a rant and I will probably get flamed for it but where do you draw the line??

All correct of course. But I wonder exactly how many of the people on this site ALWAYS have a second climber on the ground dragging brash or religiously get stuff LOLER..ed every 6 months, and Im referring to full time business's not one off weekend foreigners. Probably some very experienced and competent people lapse from time to time but I expect most prefer to be compliant than not, just for peace of mind.

We all take some chances some times, but know that if it all goes pear shaped its on our own heads.

As for using client as groundie.. surely this should be in "business" section :biggrin: