complications of copying a building?

Graham w

Are there any problems with building a log cabin almost exactly the same as a design I've found online?

Well not exactly the overall layout, dimensions and structural design would be completely different as the build would house a cafe/restaurant and clothing upstairs looking over the seating area with offices above the kitchen and store. The changes to the layout inside are straight enough but the exterior (pictured) is almost perfect for purpose therefore to use it would be more than following a theme?

In the worst case scenario what could happen? if anything:confused1:

Thank you Graham

597670df4295d________.jpg.9a1d34b5999cdd0944a2dc0881c69694.jpg

Edited by Graham w

Are there any problems with building a log cabin almost exactly the same as a design I've found online?

Well not exactly the overall layout, dimensions and structural design would be completely different as the build would house a cafe/restaurant and clothing upstairs looking over the seating area with offices above the kitchen and store. The changes to the layout inside are straight enough but the exterior (pictured) is almost perfect for purpose therefore to use it would be more than following a theme?

In the worst case scenario what could happen? if anything:confused1:

Thank you Graham

You'll be fine, as long as your not using the same set of drawings etc. I built my own oak frame house and loved the look of the front of a house I'd seen. Asked my architect to use it as a basis for the front of mine but changed lots of of details inside and at the rear etc.

To a degree everyone takes a bit of something they've seen and incorporates it.

Just don't get your architect or draftsmanship to copy it lock stock and barre, put your own stamp on it.

Ps, looks very nice.

Jez

Nice building. I've seen others in a similar design so can't see any problems with that.

Architects tend to draw on other buildings for inspiration and from what you've said you are doing the same.

Cheers, steve

If I was going to build something that was open to the general public I'd want a proper design and engineers calculations...

There are a lot of regulations for making public buildings wheelchair friendly & having fire escapes etc.

I think in some circumstances you can approach a property owner and arrange to purchase a set of plans from the owner or architect , it would be cheaper than having your own drawn up , I know of some one who has done this as his house had to match the others on a small development and it was far cheaper ...and you could probably customise to your own specs if required ...

If I was going to build something that was open to the general public I'd want a proper design and engineers calculations...

There are a lot of regulations for making public buildings wheelchair friendly & having fire escapes etc.

This point is really the most important matter for the OP to consider.

The consequences from possibly choosing to go penny wise and pound cheap may be more than anyone can bargain for.

easy-lift guy

The wirst thing is that it would fail to get Bulding Warrant and if already built would have to be demolished without compensation. It has happened. So unless the design complies with Building Regs wherever you are it could be hard to show compliance unless you have access to the original designer's calcualtions of U values, load bearing structure etc.