Back cut below gob cut?

Georgesoton

Canadians and those who also log the United States of America use the upside down "gob". Its known as the humboldt undercut. You guys want to check out some good falling, type up Worksafe B.C. falling on Google. The Humboldt is better for logging because the undercut comes out of the stump, not the log. Also, the tree cannot come back at you, like if it hits another tree on the way down. The backcut is always a bit above, the bigger the tree, the higher. On a tree that is 2ft at the butt, the backcut would be about 1"-2" higher.

That may be the case , but in the UK we cut milling timber at ground level,so it would hardly work.

Tbh if the bottom cut of the gob is cut at ground level,.as it should be , then I cannot see how the back cut can be cut below that .

That may be the case , but in the UK we cut milling timber at ground level,so it would hardly work.

Tbh if the bottom cut of the gob is cut at ground level,.as it should be , then I cannot see how the back cut can be cut below that .

Agreed . I think on the west coast the Humbolt is used when felling down a steep slope . It also leaves a flat cut face on the saw log .

There are times where I have winched trees with dead tops. Back leakers and limited sound wood higher up to anchor the pull line to.

Setting the pull line low in sound wood and then having the back cut under the bottom of the face cut creates a lip so you don't pull the butt off the stump when winching.

The faster the winch the better. I wouldn't recommend it on a hand pull or a tirfor.

It definitely works in that scenario, it was an old school cutter who showed me that one.

In nearly every other application it would be level or above the bottom of the face cut.

Nice Rich , exactly this:thumbup1:

I also sometimes use it on bigger leaning laterals when using a "gob" in the tree as it stops the saw from getting dragged away in the kerf.

Never below the undercut!!! Otherwise it is basically a step cut. I had a guy do this in the tree and he got a whole load a in his ear after the limb nearly took out the fence as it snapped and went sideways.

Edited by Stephen Blair

Never below the undercut!!! Otherwise it is basically a step cut. I had a guy do this in the tree and he got a whole load a in his ear after the limb nearly took out the fence as it snapped and went sideways.

It's very simple, cutting below the gob height makes it more difficult for the tree to go over, we can all agree on that I feel.

Now use this information to your advantage where possible in a tree felling situation! :001_smile:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 13/04/2016 at 22:21, Georgesoton said:

Great info guys, thank you. I will pass it on, and cross everything that he listens!

If he doesn’t listen then stand out of the way and have a smoke while he removes his head or something along those lines ! That’ll learn the bloke !! ??