Ways in to Arboriculture from scratch.

Tim

but IMO all trees work basically the same and have nearly all the same reaction to bad pruning, sticking to basic training etc 30% rule, they all feed, drink and sleep basically the same, rot basically the same, yes some diseases are specific.

IMO this is a little simplistic.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Tim,

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Andy and I have also just become a new member. I have been a climber for 5yrs and I have my L2 RFS Cert and currently studying my L3 Tech Cert. I am also looking at doing a foundation degree in the future.

I would like to add to your question if you don’t mind. I think you choosing a career in Arboriculture is a good move, there are various paths you can go down and various qualifications you require. First of all it is imperative you get some qualifications in the use of chainsaws it is now a legal requirement. To start with, CS30/31, then CS38 & CS39 if you want to climb and use chainsaws. Moving on, the RFS Cert is a good stepping-stone to the Tech Cert if you want to go into supervision. There are many ways to do the RFS, the course you are looking at is the FULL RFS, which involves all the chainsaw and climbing techniques and is two years long. Another way is to look at the ABC Awards web page http://www.abcawards.co.uk and pull up the RFS theory syllabus; you can source all the information from the web in relation to the learning outcomes and knowledge requirements, and then just sit the exam when you feel you are ready. (You would have to book in with you college for this) Once you get the theory certificate you send all your NPTC Cert's of to the Royal Forestry http://www.rfs.org.uk and they issue the prestigious award.

I hope the information is of use to you,

Good luck in the future

Andy

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to say what a great forum this is, with so much good advice from people who seem to genuinely love what they are doing.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Tim, I'm 25 and I have chosen to embark on a career in Arboriculture. I have a bit of a background in landscape gardening, having worked with my brother in London seasonally for the last 4 years or so. I have also worked in our local woodland, coppicing and clearing rides over the last few winters, so I know the basics of using a chainsaw, and am no stranger to hard work!

My interest in Arboriculture and tree surgery comes from combining my love of working in the outdoors, with a keen habit / addiction to rock climbing. I have always loved trees, and I am interested particularly in the ecology and sustainability side of arb work. Oh an I also have a degree in film, but that's on hold for a while!

I am writing this post because I would really appreciate some good advice from the pros!... you. I have done some research, and know that there are qualifications that you need (ncpt tickets), and qualifications that would be a very good idea to have if you want to stay in the career once you come to the end of your climbing days (which I do) (I think)

S the big question is, What would you advise being the best route in? I am working part time for a good local tree surgeon at the moment which I love, so I would definitely like to continue to get the practical experience like that. I am thinking of a ABC Lvl 2 cert in Arb that my local college (Hadlow) does part time (one evening a week) for 2 years but I would definately like to do a much more in depth course at some point.

To put another twist in it, I don't really think I can afford to take a full year or 2 out to do a NC or ND as we are expecting our first child (due 4 days ago) :proud:

Perhaps the online foundation degree at Myerscough?

Well thanks for reading all of this, and I really appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Cheers for now,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

What a great thread this is :icon14:

I have found myself in a similar situation to some of the other guys - though not entirely.

I've been in forestry since leaving school (though I did spend 2 years at Newton Rigg - did Game and wildlife management for some stupid reason) and have spent most of these last 5 years in manual harvesting and tractor extraction. For various reasons I ended up selling my County, packing up contracting and now work full time on a local Estate (it's absolutely soul destroying :bawling:) and then doing my own firewood orders on an evening and weekend.

I have cs 30 and 31 (i think) but really should have had medium trees and both windblow ones too for some of the work I have done over the years.

I've been giving a lot of thought about getting into Arbor before I get too old (I'm 25) but it's the cost of training and the time involved that's been putting me off.

I do like the idea of the distance learning options but was wondering if anyone else had seen or heard anything about the "ten week tree surgery" course that Guildford College is offering?

I'd seen it advertised in last months FMJ but didin't know if would be any good.

Again NPTC is not a legal requirment only some commercial sectors ask for qualifications dont people know this.

Learn how to cut a tree first then do your course or you could cock it up going straight in 4 days to learn hardly teaching competence imo. That takes on the job exp.

for hunting training providors follow this link

http://portal.lantra-awards.co.uk/search/

for info about the HSE attitude to what is required to get in to the industry follow the followig link

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag805.pdf

as for the statement about nptc not being required in laws wrong and right, and a long explanation, lets just say the genneral and specific duties confired by the 74 act relate to training and use the word adiquate, the 98 work equimnet regs actually give much clearer guidance and indicte towards a seperate assment its a complex one

cheers

arbocop

Interesting thread. I stumbled upon it while searching for information about courses and options.

I'm coming to the end of my ND and considering my options. I've a career background in IT and now I'm retraining in arb with interests in ecology and surveys.

As it happens I started (and dropped out due to house move) an ecology foundation degree at Myerscough about 4 years ago and think it's an excellent college. So I'm biased a little towards it anyway. I'd love to go for the degree they offer, but unfortunately Myerscough is in Lancashire, and I'm not.

Where I study at the moment offer an HND one afternoon/evening a week, which opens up possibilities of working at the same time. The foundation degree in arb at Myerscough offers distance learning and flexibility, and it's Myerscough, and they're good.

HND on the doorstep versus Foundation Degree by distance online learning? Currently wondering what the pluses and minuses are. Anyone any thoughts on the relative merits of these qualifications?

Thanks

Dougie