Who offers a 'cooling off' period?

Shane

Just to cover yourself get them to sign a waiver on the cooling off period. I'm almost sure that is ok?

Also if you are not door knocking and get work from people contacting you it should not be s problem

Fair enough. Surly if your email your quotes over and they mail back saying that's fine that is a form of contract. I don't really want to go round asking every customer to sign a waver. Seems a bit extreme

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting, should I now quote this as the reason I can't do the job they have had the quote for for 2months before excepting strate away.

Instead of saying, certainly I can still do it for the quoted price but as we have a lot on at the moment it'll be about 2 weeks till I can do your job, to which they sometimes reply ow we might try someone else to do it sooner.....

I'll say Thank-you for excepting my quote, by law we will not be able to carry out your job for a minimum 14 days incase you change your mind to which they say..............

Don't think most of the companies offering the sort of services the OP talked about and this cooling of period will still reside within the same County to carry out the work if they actually stuck by it.

My t&c's are I'll try and take your trees down without breaking too much stuff, then I want paying.

If you want me to do it I will, if you don't I won't.

I like a simple life.

Most of the posts I see of yours seem spot on!

Fair enough. Surly if your email your quotes over and they mail back saying that's fine that is a form of contract. I don't really want to go round asking every customer to sign a waver. Seems a bit extreme

Email would be a good way as its time/date stamped.

All it needs is a one line right to cancel within 14 days type sentence.

If you ask for confirmation by email it should be more than enough.

Why is there a need for a cooling off period?

If I quote and they accept (As Mick D said) they can cancel up to the last minute anyway.

If I do the job sooner than 14 days (ooh it's really urgent) they are happy and they pay up.

I can only think that such a clause would make the odd 'mind-changer' feel less guilty about cancelling.

If I had a tradesman issue me a cooling off clause I would wonder why, how many times, and for what reasons it was necessary.

Only ever thought this applied to distant selling!

When we win a job it's usually difficult to try and get the customer to agree to wait a couple of weeks, they usually wantrit doing last Thursday.

I presume, and can anyone confirm this, if I do a job within the 14 days without mentioning cooling off period etc then the customer has the right to decide not to pay us for the job?

If true I imagine the percentage of customers who would do this is more or less non existent to not worry about it.