Another mk2 zig zag fail

Stephen Blair

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has failed already, that's why it has a crack in it.

Think he means become ineffective at holding the rope and therefore causing the climber to fall uncontrolled.

I'm sure someone tried that and the spliced eye of the rope still failed first before the cracked link of the zz did.

Think he means become ineffective at holding the rope and therefore causing the climber to fall uncontrolled.

I'm sure someone tried that and the spliced eye of the rope still failed first before the cracked link of the zz did.

Yup this was my point, at what amount of cracking is there an actual danger of a fall

I've got a single crack in mine, haven't got round to sending it off but am not worried. The only time the zig zag freaks me out is if I get it caught on a branch and it flexes the "wrong" way if that makes sense. I know in my head it won't break but it's a bit disconcerting!

I know for a fact that Lyon equipment did some extensive testingnon extremely damaged zigzags and found them to still operate within acceptable parameters. Lyon are the UK petzl distributors and are much more than wholesaler, they make and test a lot of rope access equipment.

I'm only mentioning this to hopefully put some people's mind at rest. If you do find a crack in either a zigzag or zillon then advice is to retire it immediately and speak to your supplier. There will be no issue in getting it replaced for the latest version which has none of these issues.