Stove advice

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Mick ??

I was just talking today of having my flue lined, cos it isn't at the moment.

What is the advantage

No matter what wood you burn or how well seasoned it is, it still contains resin that sticks to the chimney when burnt. It soaks into brickwork and if you have a chimney fire the resin can burn for days leading to structural damage. Hence the need for a stainless steel liner.

The theory is Dean that the volatile tar compounds produced by burning wood are likely to condense on the "cold" flue walls. A lined flue, preferably insulated too, heats up to above the condensation point of the tar and so it passes out of the top of the chimney.

Interestingly, I have 2 flues, one insulated and lined with stainless steel and the other lined with clay pipes the old fashioned way, on the steel one the chimney pot is covered in tar as it condenses as soon as it hits the cold air, :thumbup: the other pot is clean as the tar is probably inside the flue:thumbdown:

Why Mick ??

I was just talking today of having my flue lined, cos it isn't at the moment.

What is the advantage

The liner should be insulated when it is installed with vermiculite back fill once the liner and register plate are in place. This should make sure the bulk of the nasties exit as gas and don't choke the flue. :001_cool:

I did a lot of googling before choosing my stove. Dunsley Yorkshire with back boiler ticked all the boxes.

Downsides; expensive, big.

Upsides; Defra approved for smoke control areas, efficient, looks good, had an air-control thermostat built in so you can turn it up or down.

It's pretty big though, 17KW max output, 6 to room and 11 to boiler.