Manitou 628 MLA 120 LSU

Big J

Sounds like they are well respected as a machine - I'm glad! The farm suppliers I'm purchasing it from are very good and the Coventry Climax came from them also (and has been faultless, which for an £1800 machine is saying something).

Tom - thanks for the maintenance points. All taken aboard and noted. Unlikely it will ever see anything other than light use with me, but I like preemptive care on machines.

Nice grab on your (nice) machine Aspenarb. The grab's a bit longer on mine so that I can get hold of a full grab load (say half a dozen 30cm diameter logs) and only a single grab. Nevertheless has made material handling much more rapid.

Billy - I'm cautiously optimistic on a 4t lift. Both my 2.5t plated forklifts lift 3.8t, so I reckon the 2.8t Manitou is good for 4t. The weight centre of a heavy log is very close to the machine so they seem to be able to lift quite a bit more than plated to. I'll get photos once it's in the yard!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be interested to know what the old girls lifted the forklifts we have lifted well above the plating but we always felt the pivot steers struggled but it might well be that we underestimated what we where asking of them

I'm lucky in that I can find out exactly what the big logs weigh. That being said, I quite often have 3 tonne logs, but not often 4 tonne. The reason for that is that there aren't many hauliers that will lift 4 tonnes up here.

Its probably the right choice of machine Big J, the modern equivalents are full of electronic trickery that lock out at the slightest sniff of something too heavy. I used a newish JCB on site recently and it was pathetic compared to old our school FDI, buzzers and lights flashing all over the place, then refusing to move until you play fair :thumbdown:

Bob

Sounds like they are well respected as a machine - I'm glad! The farm suppliers I'm purchasing it from are very good and the Coventry Climax came from them also (and has been faultless, which for an £1800 machine is saying something).

Tom - thanks for the maintenance points. All taken aboard and noted. Unlikely it will ever see anything other than light use with me, but I like preemptive care on machines.

Nice grab on your (nice) machine Aspenarb. The grab's a bit longer on mine so that I can get hold of a full grab load (say half a dozen 30cm diameter logs) and only a single grab. Nevertheless has made material handling much more rapid.

Billy - I'm cautiously optimistic on a 4t lift. Both my 2.5t plated forklifts lift 3.8t, so I reckon the 2.8t Manitou is good for 4t. The weight centre of a heavy log is very close to the machine so they seem to be able to lift quite a bit more than plated to. I'll get photos once it's in the yard!

J,

Honestly I think you'll struggle to get 4t out of that machine, the problem is the kinematics of the linkage, its not a straight lift like a forklift so you have to factor in the boom weight and boom angles that the ram has to overcome. Its probably got near a ton of mass to overcome before you add any load. You should get 3-3.5ton i would think, but she'll be light as anything on the back end. If you find its doing this regularly ask a local fab shop to weld some additional counterweight up under the rear, a couple of slabs of 20mm plate will help significantly, we do this on our test machines from time to time to overcome big attachments.

Cheers, Tom

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Its probably the right choice of machine Big J, the modern equivalents are full of electronic trickery that lock out at the slightest sniff of something too heavy. I used a newish JCB on site recently and it was pathetic compared to old our school FDI, buzzers and lights flashing all over the place, then refusing to move until you play fair :thumbdown:

Bob

Used to happen on machines I've driven. As long as you have the right key they can be over-ridden.

If you're on site the safety officer will keep them. If he won't give the key over then a quiet chat with the site manager usually sorts it out. Targets, deadlines, penalty clauses etc.... :)

theres no such thing as too big! your older equipment is likely to be over engineered and the equivalent of a 4-5 ton modern build. i think a down side to the manitou is the 120lsu engine being a tad too small for the machine and would benefit from a 6cly turbo with lower revs. a 6cly would also help by adding weight to the rear and with the fuel consumption issue, our 4 liter manitou is in competition with the sawmills 10.5liter gardner and often uses more diesel per shift

The machine is in and put straight to work extracting bags of sawdust from the far side of the sawmill (need the telescopic reach for it).

Also, played around in the top yard seeing what it would lift. Not sure of measured weight on this but it's hoppus calculation weight is 3.37t, but I suspect it's closer to 3.5-3.6t as it doesn't account for the greater diameter at the fork, nor the fact that I milled the first length of this tree and it was about the heaviest elm I've ever cut. Probably not too far from capacity though as the rear wheels felt a touch light.

12615220_10154503127098136_6027513849407321064_o.jpg