Term time holidays for kids & parents getting fined by schools...

SteveA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think taking a family holiday is one of the best educational tools for kids & also for their well-being.

It's good to see "Parents Want a Say" standing for their rights (after Councils instructed schools which led to a breach of the regulations)..... a lot of parents were fined and even more given the wrong advice.

Term-time holidays victory claimed by campaigners in Wales - BBC News

We wouldn't hesitate to take a term time holiday (although probably not around exam years).

What are your thoughts on getting the balance of family holiday/ school times?....

Cheers, steve

I took the simple solution of putting my children in Private School therefore not under the same scrutiny and rule enforcement system.

I'm sure that doesn't help you and I have not read this thread but good luck.

:blushing::blushing:

I took the simple solution of putting my children in Private School therefore not under the same scrutiny and rule enforcement system.

I'm sure that doesn't help you and I have not read this thread but good luck.

:blushing::blushing:

I've not been reading all of this thread either... have had flu all week and not been able to concentrate on much.

cheers, steve

I haven't read all of the thread either but have seen a few posts about teachers and holidays etc. Firstly, with the greatest respect, not many people have any idea how hard it is to be a teacher, especially a primary one. It's a killer and going on about holidays is a little hard to take. I'm not a teacher by the way but am married to one. I certainly couldn't do it.

When we complain about fines etc. it's also not the teacher's fault. It's not even the head's fault. OFSTED will grade down schools with attendance issues and as modern parents are so obsessed with OFSTED ratings, schools graded down will lose pupils and therefore funding. This is the single reason why your school doesn't want you to take your kids out in term time. It's not their fault.

So, please take it up with your MP or whatever but understand that schools get punished if attendance falls too much. Also, please respect your children's teachers. This used to be the case. Support them and thank them for the job they do. It's not a walk in the park by any means.

We've booked our holiday term time. We spoke to the head teacher before hand asking about the fine she said she wouldn't fine us. We work hard for as high attendance as possible. My kids are 4 and 6. The youngest doesn't have to be at school by law but we feel at this age it won't disrupt our eldest and we also intend on taking a bit of work plus do a holiday diary etc.

I think the last 2 years building up to gcse are most important with regard to missing work so I will prob get saving for the ridiculously inflated prices in the holidays.

We went last year in term time lets be honest it's all down to money. We wouldn't have been able to afford a holiday otherwise. My daughter our eldest had really been struggling at school with what we were told was anxiety issues and was very shy and was reluctant to participate with her other classmates. We didn't understand it she was life and sole at home and fine with family friends kids etc. We had a fantastic family holiday which according to the teachers had worked wonders for her she came back confident participant and like a completely different child.

Family relaxation time is as important as any school work. If your tired and constantly stressed I think that that would affect the kids school work more than a couple of weeks r&r.

We've booked our holiday term time. . My kids are 4 and 6. The youngest doesn't have to be at school by law but we feel at this age it won't disrupt our eldest and we also intend on taking a bit of work plus do a holiday diary etc.

At this age I don't think it matters. In fact at that age I don't think they should be at school anyway. But when they hit secondary school it is an issue and term time holidays should be avoided.

Taking your kids out of school in term time causes more work for the teachers. While at primary age it may not be important when they get to secondary it is more and more so.

Teachers have a limited time to teach the syllabus and if your child misses classes then they may miss something that is the foundation for later work.

The teacher then has to spend more time with your child or give extra work to help them them catch up. This may not be much if it is only one child, but if your whole classwais doing it it would become a right PITA.

While I agree a good student on a fantastic tour is almost certainly likely to benefit them, taking a struggling student to Disney Land probably isn't going to give them any advantages and may push them back. The consequence of that is the teacher spending even more time on them and less on the rest of the class. So the whole class suffers due to the selfish behaviour of one individual in the class.

I believe heads do have discretion to wave the fines if you really have no option, but if they do it once they are going to have to be able to defend their decision when others ask the same. Therefore it is simpler to have a blanket ban..

Speaking as an ex secondary school teacher and father of 4 who takes holidays in the school holidays....

Very well said... Excellent, well put post. :thumbup1: