Build your dream

54gka

Some folk actually don't get it .. With a top handle you are much more inclined to use it one handed whether on the ground or above , but lets just say you are a good little citizen and you use both hands . You just don't have the same control as both hands are very close together , short bar -high power = big kickback =danger .

Professionals should know this ..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folk actually don't get it .. With a top handle you are much more inclined to use it one handed whether on the ground or above , but lets just say you are a good little citizen and you use both hands . You just don't have the same control as both hands are very close together , short bar -high power = big kickback =danger .

Professionals should know this ..

Are you a UK national living / working in Vienna or an indigenous "European?"

Just wondering if the humour / sarcasm is being lost in translation?

:001_huh:

Er, cos you can hold the bit with the other hand when your cutting it? Seriously tho they are more accurate for pruning than a back handled saw. I really don't get what all the fuss is about using them on the ground. If you can't use a topper on the ground safely then should you be using any chain saw at all?

This . :001_smile:

The problem with top handled saws on the ground is that he HSE has a problem with it. They have prosecuted for this. It's like everything else in the business, everyone loves to rant about H&S madness but the rules are there for reasons even if you could go through a whole long life never getting kickback off a topper the HSE says if it can be used one-handed the temptation is there and people will and so there is an unacceptably high risk of someone getting hurt. People do it all the time, 200T running beside the chipper to be picked up to prune a stem that won't quite go in itself.

Use a tophandled saw in an assessment, instrant fail, you won't even get to finish the assessment. Use one in a tree one-handed when you could have used two or got in a better work position and used two, instant fail. Use one on the ground ina construction site with a HSE bod there, red card , you're off site and losing money.

Me, I stick to the rules not because I am scared to break them or don't know when it's safe to, I just prefer not to have to think about things like that day to day or have the apprentice think it's alright to break the rules then have to pick a 200T out of his forehead the next day. Plus (and this is a big one) I like to keep my tophandled saws clean and razor-sharp for up-tree work, and I rarely have to sharpen a chain, because there's no dirt up there to blunt the chain.

Rules, as it is said, are for the guidance of the wise and the absolute adherence of fools, but I hope no-one lookingin on this thread thinks tha the industry endorses the habitual breaking of rules by anyone that thinks they know more about probability and human nature than HSE. Doesn't matter whose right.

Are you a UK national living / working in Vienna or an indigenous "European?"

Just wondering if the humour / sarcasm is being lost in translation?

:001_huh:

Kevin i don't know what your going on about as usual . I take my job and safety very seriously . This is what I like about tree climbing ,forestry etc it's a great leveller and a dead 30m sophora doesn't ask to see your race or qualifications .:sneaky2:

funny how theres no need for a chainsaw "ticket " when a saws used away from the tree envioroment.....fencing, or joinery work, do the trees emit some majic spell that makes saws dangerous.....THERE JUST ANOTHER TOOL, its the operator that makes the dangerous move, for over 40 years now I've been using chainsaws of all types, from the very first, with no chain brakes or AV, right up to the modern low vibe stuff, top handles, rear handles, there all the same......learn to use the saw safely, and never put anything in the path of the chain you dont want cut FULL STOP. it doesnt matter what PPE your wearing, or what your doing, that is the first and only rule about safe operation of a chainsaw irrespective of type.

funny how theres no need for a chainsaw "ticket " when a saws used away from the tree envioroment.....fencing, or joinery work, do the trees emit some majic spell that makes saws dangerous.....THERE JUST ANOTHER TOOL, its the operator that makes the dangerous move, for over 40 years now I've been using chainsaws of all types, from the very first, with no chain brakes or AV, right up to the modern low vibe stuff, top handles, rear handles, there all the same......learn to use the saw safely, and never put anything in the path of the chain you dont want cut FULL STOP. it doesnt matter what PPE your wearing, or what your doing, that is the first and only rule about safe operation of a chainsaw irrespective of type.

Im in this camp .