Woodcrafter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck , it's been tried before.

[ATTACH]196534[/ATTACH]

I got one of these... Edelrid rocker .

Its hard/impossible to get the spliced eye through the small ring and it doesn't look very solid. I gave up on mine.

Just done a birch reduction I didn't put a cambium saver up again as thought it wouldn't really be necessary as it wasn't a huge tree (I do appreciate there good for the tree as well). I soon began to realise that it's almost a necessity. While using a Prussik it's pretty easy to let out rope even if it's not under tension and with the rope in an odd position. I found with the zig zag that it was a little more difficult although still possible to let out that extra bit of slack you'd like to get yourself into position, so I'm most certainly using next climb with the pulley as, as little friction at anchor point I feel will alleviate the problem. I generally find that with a Prussik I don't have to redirect my slack so much but it's something you need to do with the zigzag. Hope some of that made sense thought I'd chuck it out there for people thinking of swapping.

Just done a birch reduction I didn't put a cambium saver up again as thought it wouldn't really be necessary as it wasn't a huge tree (I do appreciate there good for the tree as well). I soon began to realise that it's almost a necessity. While using a Prussik it's pretty easy to let out rope even if it's not under tension and with the rope in an odd position. I found with the zig zag that it was a little more difficult although still possible to let out that extra bit of slack you'd like to get yourself into position, so I'm most certainly using next climb with the pulley as, as little friction at anchor point I feel will alleviate the problem. I generally find that with a Prussik I don't have to redirect my slack so much but it's something you need to do with the zigzag. Hope some of that made sense thought I'd chuck it out there for people thinking of swapping.

definately essential - really with hitch climber or zig zag where one handed tending is frequent. some people use a pulley and others just a friction saver...personal pref really...if you use a saver then the friction at the anchor point reduces the load for descent on the zigzag/hitch climber but with a pulley its so slick for going up. as i say personal pref